Ch. 6

The Beta's Mate
Chapter Six: Don't Tell
-Zoe-

I felt him before anything else and jumped out of bed.

I didn't have to bother with double checking that my mate was actually here...no the feeling of having him so close...my wolf pacing like an excited child on Christmas morning.

No I knew he was here, I could feel him...smell him.

And as much as I wanted to lay in bed and soak up his masculine fragrance I got up and focused on smoothing out my frizzy hair and getting any eye crusties out of my still puffy eyes.

After running back home last night I cried most of the night.

As much as I wanted to hate my Dad I just couldn't...He's still my Dad no matter what and while I may not like his lifestyle (jumping from woman to woman) I still respected the fact that he's my father.

I had also showered (thankfully) but now I was internally yelling at myself for not braiding my hair before bed or at least pulled it into a ponytail...once again my mate would be seeing me with "wild hair."

I rushed to the bathroom and immediately began gargaling my mouth clean with mouthwash as I knew I didn't have the time to actually brush my teeth properly, gross but it is what it is.

I heard the knock and spit out the mouth wash before splashing my face with water. I dabbed my face clean "Coming!" I shouted.

I looked at myself in the mirror and internally groaned at not picking a cuter outfit to sleep in last night...fortunately I had shaved my legs so at least I had smooth legs to display.

'Mate's seen our wolf...he doesn't care if legs are shaved.'

I ignored my wolf and took a deep breath to even my breathing out and calm my heart down.

I turned and went to open the front door.

And as I opened the door I wondered how I would approach greeting him?

Should I hug him?

Would it be weird to admit I thought about him all night, or that I missed him even though I've technically only known of him for more than a few hours?

But all of my overthinking and worries were drowned out by Morgan immediately pulling me into a tight hug.

I was oddly thankful for her unknowingly saving me from possibly making a bumbling fool of myself in front of my mate no less.

But as she hugged me I looked right at her brother.

'Mate'

He smiled as if he had heard my wolf, and I feel like he was just as nervous as I was...So of course I couldn't help but smile back at him.

My wolf was practically howling at me to go over to him and let him hold us, greet him further, more intimately...but I knew we weren't there yet so our silent secret smiles for one another would have to be it for now.

"Zo...how come you didn't say you were coming back last night?" Morgan asked me as she pulled out of the hug.

I looked at her and could see the concern fully on her face so I answered honestly. "Because I wasn't planning on coming back last night..." I sighed, then looked at Ryder, "D-Do you think I could talk to Morgan for a second?"

He looked at me and nodded, "Sure thing...take your time." He sounded gently before he stepped out of the house, closing the front door behind him.

My wolf and I grew a little sad at watching him leave us even if momentarily, But I knew my friend would need to know why I really came back last night, and I figured Ryder would be standing on the front porch waiting for us to finish up our conversation. So I motioned with my head to silently tell Morgan to follow me to my bedroom.