Ch. 17

The Beta's Mate
Ch. Seventeen: Family
Ryder

A few days had passed and Yvonne finally agreed to come to have dinner with us, unfortunately due to classes Morgan couldn't make it but promised to bring her mate over to meet Trace and I soon.

"You ready for this?" Trace asked.

I sighed, "well...whether Yvonne is willing to allow us to use the building or not I'm ready to put this whole thing behind us...Val and I have been looking at other properties here in town as viable second options for the clinic too so either way I know it'll get done...one will just cost me more than I was originally planning on spending."

He clapped my shoulder and nodded, "we'll figure something out."

I nodded.

"If nothing else, it'll be good to see her again." He put in. I duos the Miss the sadness in his eyes as he said it.

I nodded, we hadn't seen Yvonne since the funeral and it was kind of sad moving to the pack knowing she had left it shortly before my arrival, like she'd left because of me. Something I hadn't voice aloud to anyone, not even Zoe.

"What's on your mind Bro?" Trace asked as he messed with some papers on his desk.

"Nothing much," I lied. "I should take off though, gotta shower and get ready for this evening."

He nodded and soon I left.

I knew My Mate would be in class and I wanted to surprise her with something when she gets home, but what?

I felt like flowers might be too cliché and since we were having dinner at the pack house tonight I knew I didn't want to be wasteful and cook something for her and I... She's not too much of a sweet tooth so no candy, and Perfume would mask her lovely scent.

I was coming up blank and drove on, and before I knew it was near her Mom's house. I decided to stop by, and try to pick her brain about a gift idea for Zoe.

I pulled up to the house and Found Zoe's mother already outside...Gardening.

"Ryder Hun, what a surprise." She smiled.

I couldn't help but smile back, "Ms. Carrie, I didn't know you garden."

She shrugged and got up now, dusting her soil covered hands on her worn jeans. "Picked it up recently, every since taking it slower at work I've found myself with much more free time than before."

"Not a bad way to kill some time."

"It's productive at the very least..." She pointed out. "Anyways, what brings you by...everything okay with Zoe?"

"Oh Zoe is fine, I'm sorry for worrying you..." I quickly stated trying to put her mind at ease. "No we're both fine, she's doing well in school, and I'm working on opening up a Pediatric clinic in town..."

"Oh Ryder Hun, that'd be perfect for you." She offered kindly.

"Thanks" I said without trying to blush now. "We've still got a few roadblocks we're trying to navigate through but hopefully everything will get smoothed out...-"

"Oh goddess...what's he doing here?" Carrie sighed in a frustrated fashion.

I turned around now and saw a car driving up...I could tell it was a guy driving but no one who looked familiar.

He pulled his car up and parked it next to my truck before he got off.

He was an older guy, but something about him read as the guy trying to give off a younger vibe.