Memories Pt-1

Yvonne's Story
Blood Bound

{ Yvonne 14 years old }

I let out a long sigh as I settled onto the blanket I'd lain out amongst the garden. I looked back at the house in an admittedly longing fashion, before I shook my head to try and clear HIM from my thoughts.

And with the sound of his and my brother's combined laughter I couldn't hold back the clipped huff at the fact that per the usual, I was the one who'd get the assignment done while they got away with someone else doing it for them.

I picked up my book and thumbed through the pages, recalling the events thus far before finding my page marked by my ribbon.

In my moment alone I stroked the stain ribbon lovingly. It was my mother who use to place ribbons into her books to hold her place...of course I'd always done everything to be just like her, and the small action made me feel close to her still.

With a final resigned sigh I picked up where I left off, reading aloud to try and get the feel of the emotions behind the words.

"...'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!...-'"

"What's in a name?" He said suddenly, his voice smooth and enticing as he walked up behind me.

I suppressed my gasp at him catching me off guard, as well as the obvious fact that his voice makes my heart race.

I watched him reach into his back pocket and withdraw his knife before he casually cut one of the many roses from the closest rose bush. "That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet..." He finished before holding the flower out to me.

I tentatively reached out and took it from him...completely drawn in by him.

"Thank you." I smiled.

His own smile was devastating in the best way possible.

"You know," He said as he took his own seat next to me now. "You don't have to work so hard all the time."

"Well we've got to get this assignment done."

He shrugged nonchalantly. " I was just telling your brother, I had the exact same assignment last year...I'm pretty sure I can dig it up."

I rolled my eyes, "No offense, but I'm pretty sure you failed last year...thus you in being in our class."

"You say that like it's a bad thing." He offered.

I laughed, "most people do consider failing a year of high school a bad thing."

Once again he shrugged, "It's all a matter of perspective really."

"Perceptive?" I asked skeptically.

"Absolutely." He smirked. "For instance, you see my failing as a bad thing, I see it as a good thing."

"How so?"

"Well, had I never failed...I wouldn't have gotten to be in the same class as you."

I could feel my cheeks heating now...I hated blushing.

"And my brother." I said to keep the focus off my blushing face. "You wouldn't be in the same class with the both of us."

"Max is my best friend...but you're prettier."

I tried to ignore that and play nonchalant like he pulled off so well, mindlessly rolling the stem of the rose between my fingers as a I watched him. "Oh...ouch."