Ch. 14

The Beta's Mate
Ch. Fourteen: Normalcy
-Ryder-

As a few months had passed we seemed to settle into a new normal. We saw Morgan off to Everest Grove where she began school over there, and Zoe began her first semester here at her own chosen University.

And with the beginning of their semesters, mine and Valerie's ended as we found ourselves graduating and beginning our official careers. For Valerie it was becoming a Policy Analyst, something she really grew a passion for during her time with her Luna Training...and her political science degree came in handy when it came to her being The Luna.

Because of course she needed strong critical thinking, writing, and research skills as she now has to formulate statements and policies for the pack.

And if other Luna's give her shit (not that they ever really do) she could hold her own and simply outsmart them.

For me I took up a residency at the hospital and quickly gained my footing in the pediatrics unit, but where I found myself unsure was as Beta.

My brother seldom took time away from the pack and liked to lead the patrol runs himself... so I just seemed to sort of coast along and await my time to be called upon.

"You're bored." Zoe said as we cooked dinner one evening. She was sautéing the vegetables I'd just chopped for her and moved on to begin dicing the chicken.

"Of course I'm bored, Trace won't let me do anything...he has to micromanage everything."

She shook her head, "Don't be mad at Trace...this is how he was raised, it's what he was not only taught but what he saw with your father...I understand Alpha Braxton left you in charge of the Everest Grove pack many times and relied on you constantly in his absence but Trace would feel too guilty if he left...plus, you do your part expertly as you help run patrols...-"

"Which he oversees."

She smiled and shook her head, "And you go out of town to visit with our allies...something none of the other Alphas or Betas have ever done."

I shrugged, "Well we don't particularly have a ton of allies and I like to keep things friendly between us...see if they need anything so that if we ever need anything from them, they wouldn't think to ever hesitate or turn us down."

"You are in charge of the pack finances as well." She pointed out.

"And they were a fucking disaster." I grumbled.

I hated that I felt like I was being babysat by my older brother, like he didn't trust that I could actually take on responsibilities as the Beta of this pack. I felt like he just tossed the pack finances at me expecting them to be fine.

But they weren't fine...in fact our father hardly updated anything.

"But our brilliant pack Beta came in and fixed everything, keeping our pack from financial ruin."

I sighed, I knew she was right.

"You are more important than you know Beta Ryder...but maybe you should take up a hobby or something?"

"Actually I've been thinking about taking on a new project." I admitted as I put all of the chicken into the pan now.

She added the seasonings and gave the contents a stir to mix everything together and then put a lid over the pan to allow the food to cook through, and also so the food wouldn't burn before she gave me her full attention now.

"I know I've only been at the hospital a few months...and I really love what I do, you know that."

She nodded, "But you aren't happy."