t h i r t e e n

"We'll meet again! Maybe next year." Hyunjin smiled at the girl who had a gloomy face on. When hearing that she looked up to him and smiled while nodding.

"Sure. Have a safe journey."

The guy noticed something was off with her so he turned to Seungmin. "You too, Seungmin."

Seungmin bowed lightly as he replied a farewell. When the Hwang family had fully gone from their eyes they entered the castle while Seungmin turned the other way round to return home.

Eunkyung realised he had not been talking ever since they leave the house. Guilt washed over her.

"Seungmi—" her breath hitched when he turned to her at the same time.

With a smile on.

"Thank you for bringing me along, Your Highness. I enjoyed it." he bowed his head. Eunkyung was tongue tied. Even she hurt the guy's feelings he still talked to her kindly.

Did he not hurt?

Seemingly didn't hear she called out his name earlier, he continued. "Have a good rest, Your Highness." Then he left. Eunkyung could only watched as he walked away.

What... whatever.

She got in and went straight to her sister's room. After a few knocks she went in only to see Eunji reading the report book. "What are you doing?"

She didn't reply, instead flipping to the next page. Eunkyung walked to her and saw a few newly sheets of paper and a list of name. "Are you altering it?"

"I'm dividing men, women and children. Father won't bother to see this so it's better if we give him the accurate number."

Sighing, Eunkyung took a seat and sat next to her, helping her out. She did not know why her father is ignoring the villagers down there. After she moved to the castle it seems like he had already forgotten about it.

In silence, the two sisters did their work together.

Seungmin entered his room and took off his tight clothes, finally giving him air. When he looked at the time it was nearing three in the afternoon so he took a quick shower and laid on his bed afterwards in his bathrobe.

Why is she doubting me...

Truth to be told, he was hurt. Even he might have acted suspicious at some times that did not mean he was the real culprit. He haven't gone gone there for a long time but would the princess listen to him? No.

She should be lucky she's still alive.

Indeed, she needs to be grateful. Seungmin had saved her for four... five... times? He honestly lost count because that did not matter to anyone. Who was he? A mere civilian with title of the son of the royal archer. No one would remember him for the things he do and no one recognized him as himself, only because of his father.

He lifted his bare hand and stared at the long scar on his palm. The scar had been sitting there for years now. He couldn't do anything to make it disappear, it was a permanent scar.

Sadness engulfs him. The memory of years ago flooded in his mind. If only he was more careful and not a beginner before he went there, he would have been able to save them and himself from the guy.

But what can he do? That was in the past. Nothing could change it.

And the fact that no one knows it was him hurts more.

Yet he was accused as the culprit by Eunkyung.

It just hurts.