f i f t y n i n e

The sand felt so soft under her feet.

The girl purposely left her shoes under a tree and walked barefoot by the beach. The sun was slowly rising. It was still early in the morning so the beach was almost empty. There's only two couples walking around and dipped their feet in the water, having a calm conversation. 

From what she heard earlier, Jisung will leave after the sunrise to avoid from crowd forming to watch. Eunkyung did not tell anyone she was here. She just left before they could even have breakfast. Taking a small walk before waiting him would calm her a bit.

She's having mixed emotions about this and she hated herself for it. How could someone still worry over a person who brought danger to them? She thought she was being unreasonable but after Jeongin told her it was basic human's feeling she felt relief. Even so she still didn't like it.

Why do feelings and emotions exist?

Soft morning breeze accompanied her at that moment. She stared off the sunrise with a blank mind until she heard someone calling her name.

"Eun?"

It was Jisung.

The girl glanced sideways to him. He had a bag and a few bundles with him. His cloth looked a bit new, different from the last time she seen him. His hair grew longer too.

"I... I thought you are out of the country."

"I received a mail from Gracine." she spoke monotonously, her tone similar to a demand. "If you promise not to harm the people there, you are safe. As long as you don't show up with any weapons, you are safe. The royal family agreed to keep your secret."

Jisung hung his head low and nodded slowly. He pursed his lips into a thin line and wanted to say something but he held back. 

Eunkyung just watched how he gripped the bundles in his hands tighter. "I'm sure a month ago you said you wanted to confess something but I've never heard of that confession. What is it?"

His eyes flickered open showing worry. They were almost teary, even. The princess furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "I demand you to speak, Han."

"Y-you already heard it." he stuttered and looked away. By now some people he recognised from the royal family arrived. "I have no rights to say it again after all this."

Judging by how he looked, Eunkyung nodded in understanding. She immediately got the message.

The three words he said before they passed out that night, I love you.

And she understood why Jisung did not want to say it again.

"Seungmin woke up a day after you left."

"I know."

He was hesitant, but he encouraged himself to say it, "I... I heard he was not doing well so please meet him soon."

Eunkyung crossed her arms over her chest and turned fully to him. "So you are not apologising after what you have done to us?"

"I'm not." he firmly said, which shocked Eunkyung by the sudden change in his tone. "Not until I've reflected my mistakes. When the time comes I will pen an apology letter."

The princess scoffed in disbelief, "Alright," she shrugged. "I don't expect for you to change immediately anyway. But always remember I'll be waiting for the last letter."

Last letter. Which also means will be their last interaction. Jisung swallowed the lump forming in his throat and stood straight, not wanting to be seen weak in front of her. "If you don't have anything else to say I'll be leaving now, Eunkyung."