f o r t y t w o

The morning started with whispers being passed around about the missing princess. It became more concerning to them when they found out the amount of guards who passed away and guests who were injured that night.

"I heard the king took shed for himself."

"The queen did all the work, and the princesses."

"One of the guests said they saw Princess Eunji helping the queen, but I'm not sure about the king."

"Did the king leave his princesses to do everything?"

"I think the king killed some men, though."

"Nah, he's doing that just for his daughter."

Eunji raised the hood of her cloak to hid herself from the public. She tightly held on the fabric as she prepared her ears for more insults towards the royal family. She pursed her lips, trying so hard not to interfere any of the whispering or false information.

Of course, what her father did was unforgivable because he let her mother danger herself alone to help the guests. However, there's a small part of her hated it when people talk bad about him.

It cannot be prevented, though.

As she walked past the neighborhood, she spotted Haknyeon and a few men around the area who were searching for the missing princess as well. She quickly left the place not to get caught. All the royal family members had to stay in the castle, along with the injured guests but Eunji managed to sneak out from Eunkyung's secret door.

Yes, she knew about it without anyone knowing. Not even Eunkyung. With the help of her dark cloak, she left the castle early in the morning and started to search for her sister. She was sure her family was going crazy right now, but she cared less.

The road was empty because of the order not to leave home. Eunji took a left turn and spotted a huge house with a bar in front of it. She hurried there and knocked on the door.

The door opened, revealing a man with a thin line of moustache and beard.

"How can I help you?"

"I'm here to meet Arin." she pulled her hood a little to the back for him to recognised her – she hoped. "I'm Eunji, Eunkyung's sister."

"Welcome in, Her Royal Highness." the man opened the door wider. She lightly bowed and went in, immediately meeting a serious Felix who was interrogating a trembling Arin on the couch. The princess walked up to them and sat next to him.

Felix sent her a disapproval look, signalling that she wouldn't talk.

Eunji sighed at the wrapped up girl. She was just found last night around the same time Eunkyung was kidnapped. Felix and a few horsemen found her at the entrance of the wood, blindfolded, hands tied up at the back and crying in the chilly night. She was still wearing the school uniform she had seven days ago.

It took seven days to find her. Not really find, she appeared out of nowhere.

"Did you recognise the voice?" Eunji softly asked. The younger girl shakily shook her head.

"Did you know where you were?"

Again, she shook her head while looking down at the carpet. Felix wondered what had happened until she couldn't speak a word and didn't move a budge. One thing for sure, the girl wouldn't answer any of his questions but Eunji's.

The freckled guy stood up, "I'm going to visit Seungmin."

Eunji nodded, "Be careful."

When he left, Arin broke into cries. Her mother rushed to her side and hugged her tightly, stroking her arms and whispered a few encouragement words. Eunji discreetly pursed her lips, trying not to give the same reaction. The thing that happened to Arin, is now happening to her own sister.