f o r t y f o u r

In the dark, he closed the door quietly and went to the back of the hideout.

The rustling dry leaves underneath his shoes made him became more careful even though no one was there. After making sure he was far enough, the man stood up properly and limped towards a tombstone.

Two tombstones, to be exact.

He looked around. The dark had engulfed the whole country. It was the time when people are already on their beds, getting ready to sleep yet here he was clad in all black with a rugged basket in his hand. The guy sat next to the tombstone and caressed it.

"It's been twelve years," he whispered while leaning his cheek to the stone. He closed his eyes and a small smile appeared on his lips. "Twelve years since that bastard killed you... and our precious son. Ah... I'm sorry I've never got to get your justice back."

Only the sound of the crickets answered his words. He grabbed a full fist of red flower petals and rained it on the ground, where his wife and his son supposedly be.

"How heartless can one be towards his distant relatives?" he inquired softly as his eyes started to water.

But then a small grin appeared. After finishing the flower petals and returned to caressing the tombstone and leaned his body on the side, as if he was hugging it.

"All you have to do is just rest up there, my loves," he closed his eyes and chuckled. "I'll get your justice and bring down the king for you."

Day three being locked up in the empty room, Eunkyung could only lean her back on the pole and closed her eyes. She had lost track of time, whether it is already day or night. She did not eat either. She only drinks when Jisung forced her too. Surprisingly for her, he was gentle while helping her drinking it.

That made her feel suspicious about this whole thing going on with Yunseo.

Jisung returned to the room only to see the bread was still on the plate. He did not say anything and just took it, ignoring the sleeping Eunkyung.

Well, he thought. The girl was so drained that she could barely open her eyes, but not her mouth.

"Is he... alive?"

Jisung stopped on his tracks. Her voice was so frail, so weak that he felt the need to untie her and give her a proper meal. However, when hearing the question jealousy took over him.

"Han..."

He did not reply. Walking out of the room, he went straight to the wooden table where Yunseo was seemingly writing something.

"You're awfully kind to her."

"She doesn't even eat." Jisung muttered as he settled down in front of him and sipped his drink. He then ate the bread that was supposedly to be fed to Eunkyung. "Are you letting her die like that?"

"Bold of you to assume I'm doing that now." he dipped his pen into the ink and wrote a small sentence at the end of the paper. Then he rolled it and tie it with an old ribbon.

"What's that?"

"The purpose of locking her here is only one," Yunseo said without looking up. "To bring the crowned prince here, since the king is too coward to come down and all he has is his daughters."

Jisung silently watched as Yunseo gave the letter to one of his men that was waiting outside. "Pass this to the king," he heard.

"Bring Kim Seungmin as well." he found himself talking. Yunseo turned his head emotionlessly before he continued, "He was the witness of Mina's death. Should be buried next to the crowned prince when he got here."