Part 19

Stevie dropped her spoon into a now empty yoghurt cup and sighed, locking eyes with Karen, who sat across the table from her. "You're just going to keep staring at me until I up and leave?"

"I am going to stare at you until you let me in on what happened today." Karen nodded, having a proper meal instead for a late night dinner. "You saw Lindsey after three whole years, he was here, at your house and you haven't told me anything." 

"Maybe I've decided that it's time he and I talk to each other instead of about each other with other people." Stevie shrugged, pushing her chair back to get her chamomile tea.

"Don't do that." Karen rolled her eyes. "Come on, I know, you want to spill."

"It went fine. Better than expected." Stevie shrugged, taking a sip. "I mean it, I'm not about to tell you everything that we've talked about. What did you do today?" She tried steering the conversation in a different direction, but was unsuccessful.

"You don't care about that." Karen placed her hand on her chest to emphasize. "I don't care about that. Okay, then, did he make you cry? Did you get into an argument immediately?"

"Things... got a little tense at one point, but we didn't have a fight or anything like that. Definitely not a Buckingham Nicks style one." Stevie laughed lightly, shaking her head. "Yes, I did cry, but Lindsey didn't make me cry."

"So, have you figured stuff out?" 

"No." Stevie took her seat again. "No, we just kind of tested the waters. I'm hopeful, though." 

"Why do I think that something's bothering you then?" Karen raised an eyebrow, waiting. "And don't try and lie your way out, I know you far too well."

"It's not..." Stevie paused, leaning back. "It's not bothering me, it's just... I asked Lindsey if I should expect a call from him tonight."

"And he said, no." Karen just assumed, pursing her lips. She had never liked him. 

"Well, not exactly. He said, there's a lot for us to process, so maybe we should just do that tonight. He promised to wish me a goodnight, though." Stevie gave a one shoulder shrug, trying to appear as if she was fine with it. "And that's okay. Like I said, I'm not bothered, but I am worried that I'm being too pushy, you know?"

"It's not a secret that I'm not his biggest fan." Stevie scoffed, hearing that. "But you two have been talking for weeks now, he wanted to see you. That's a good thing, right? Maybe, you're just overthinking."

"Oh, I am." Stevie agreed without hesitation. "But I've always done that, when it comes to Lindsey. It's just so weird, this whole situation. I realized just how badly I've missed him and now that I've got to spend time with him, I don't want him to change his mind. It's a strange feeling, having to get to know someone again after they'd been in your life since you were in your teens."

Stevie grew quiet and Karen didn't say anything either. She could tell that Stevie had a lot on her mind and if she was going to try and draw out more, Stevie was going to get irritated and leave. 

The silence was interrupted by a faint sound, coming from somewhere inside the house. "What?" Stevie asked, seeing Karen's furrowed eyebrows.

"I think, your phone is ringing."

"Christ, where the hell is that damned thing." Stevie wondered allowed and stood up to follow the sound. 

She ended up in the room, where she and Lindsey sat together at first. She hadn't gotten used to worrying about where her phone was. Lindsey. It was Lindsey, trying to reach her. She got nervous, wondering, what he was about to say to her. Maybe, she shouldn't pick up. He wouldn't be too surprised, he'd probably just guess that she didn't hear it. 

"Hello?"

"Hey." Lindsey said on the other end of the line. "I know, I was only meant to say, goodnight, to you, but..."