Part 31

"So, we're here." Lindsey said, letting go of the steering wheel.

"Yeah." Stevie nodded, looking at him from the passenger's seat.

"We've arrived." He added as if there was a need for clarification.

"Yeah." She repeated, seeing him fighting back a smile. "What?"

"Say, hypothetically, if I were to lock the doors, would you know, how to unlock them?" Lindsey's smile widened, hearing her laugh.

"If you then drove away too, I think, it'd be considered a kidnapping." Stevie smiled softly, resting her hand over his, before he entwined their fingers together. 

"Can I kiss you?" He looked her way, almost shyly.

"Why are you asking? You didn't before." She referred to all the kisses they'd already shared that day.

Lindsey shrugged, sandwiching her hand in between his. "I don't know. Karen's lurking around here somewhere, I'm sure. Wouldn't want to get you in trouble." He smirked, making her laugh again. "I love hearing your laughter."

"I love it, when you make me laugh." Stevie said, casting her eyes down, focusing on Lily in her lap. 

Stretching out his arm, Lindsey cupped the side of her face. She turned her head and didn't have to wait for long before he mustered up the courage and leaned in to kiss her. It was a soft touch of lips first, then his palm slid down to her neck and he parted his only slightly to envelop her bottom lip between his. Her delicate hand wrapped around his wrist and she pushed herself forward, closer to him. If they were about thirty years younger, they'd be crawling into the backseat right about now, but they were no longer those people. Whatever they had between them now, was a lot more meaningful to do something stupid like that. 

"I should go in. I'm sure, I'll have a bunch of questions fired at me as soon as I step through the door as it is." Stevie drew back only slightly, rubbing the top of her nose against his for a second, before she pecked him on the lips once more and pulled away completely.

"I don't know, how I'll be able to fall asleep tonight. Without you." Lindsey added, gripping the steering wheel again, otherwise his hands would have been back on her already.

"I didn't say, you couldn't or shouldn't call me before bed." She pointed and he nodded his head. "I love you." She said, giving his hand a squeeze.

"I love you, too." He smiled and brought her hand up to his lips.

Only Lily seemed to be excited to have returned home. The dog went nuts as soon as Stevie opened the front door, running from one corner of the house to the other, chewing on her toys along the way. Stevie, on the other hand, felt a heaviness weighing on her heart. She thought of the time she'd spent with Lindsey, everything they talked about, everything they did together made her miss him the second she got out of his car. In spite of telling him that they couldn't just jump into anything because it felt good and it felt right now, she would have gladly stayed with him another night. But they couldn't. The image of Kristen standing in the doorway, hearing her say, she came to talk to Lindsey... Stevie couldn't possibly know, what that talk between them might lead them to. And they absolutely had every right to try and work things out, fix their marriage. She wanted him to talk to his wife, she wanted him to sort his own feelings out first, before she got into deep again. 

She had to protect herself.