Part 42

He didn't call. Lindsey had promised to call, before he left Stevie's yesterday morning, but her phone had been silent since then. She was silly to expect him to keep his promise. She knew, pulling away was the right thing to do. A number of men had promised her a fairytale ending, all of them told her, they loved her and that they were going to leave their wives for her. That had never happened, not once, never. She shouldn't have let him get so close again. They were supposed to try and be friends this time, nothing more. They were not supposed to become lovers for the nth time, they were not supposed to say, they loved each other.

"Another journalist wants a statement from you." Karen said, tapping away on her laptop. "Stevie?"

"Hmm?" Stevie made a sound, but she wasn't a single bit interested. 

"Lindsey has done a bunch of new interviews, your word on the whole situation is wanted." Her assistant elaborated and received a heavy sigh for a response. "Should I tell them, no, as always? Considering the latest development, I thought-"

"Tell them whatever the hell you want, Karen, I don't care." Stevie cut in sharply.

"I told you not to get your hopes up, you didn't listen." Karen shrugged, adjusting her glasses. "What did you expect, honestly?"

"Karen." Stevie warned. She didn't want to talk about it. 

"No, seriously-"

"This is none of your business!" She yelled out, throwing her arms up in the air. "This is my personal life, okay? You don't get paid to be my shrink, that's not your job. Stay the hell out of it."

"Okay, okay!" Karen sighed, rolling her eyes. "Fine." 

Stevie didn't wait around for anything else Karen had to say. She walked out of the room and turned to head upstairs to her bedroom. Midway up, Stevie was stopped by the doorbell. She immediately thought of Lindsey, then almost laughed at herself. Why on earth would he come over if he couldn't even pick up his damn phone?

"Should I get that?" Karen asked.

"No, I'm on my way." Stevie replied with another heavy sigh.

Silently, they stood, staring at each other for what felt like eternity. Stevie wasn't completely sure if she was actually awake right now or maybe she was having a dream. Lindsey remained with his lips sealed, a guilty expression on his face.

"I'm sorry, I didn't call last night." He broke the silence, it didn't seem to him like she was about to let him step inside. 

"You just didn't want to talk to me." She shrugged, arms crossed over her chest. "And you didn't have to come all the way here to tell me, what I already know, in person."

He half-smiled and she felt as if he was mocking her. "Tell you what? That I love you?"

"Lindsey, for God's sake-"

"That I told Kristen, she and I are over for good?" He continued, speaking over her.

"You... what?" Stevie frowned, fearing she might have misheard him.

"That's right." Lindsey nodded. "I was also going to tell you that I'm here, yours for the taking for the rest of my life if you have me." It was a bold statement, he knew, but he was also done playing stupid games. 

A smile tugged at her lips and she opened her arms for him at last. "Come 'ere."

He didn't hesitate to embrace her, pressing her body close to his. One arm wrapped around her back, his other hand tangled in her hair, messing it up, but she didn't care. She pulled back only slightly to cradled his face in her hands, she kissed his lips several times, until he didn't let her go and pressed their lips firmly together.

"I was so scared. God, I was so convinced..." Stevie trailed off, hiding her face in the curve of his neck. 

"I know." Lindsey nodded. "I know, baby." He held her tightly, feeling as if a huge weight was lifted off his chest. "I'm here." He said. "For good."