Part 32

"I'm so happy that you're here." Nothing could have possibly wiped the smile off Stevie's face. "I've missed you so much. I haven't been around too many people lately, except-" 

"Except?" Jess, Stevie's niece, asked, when she stopped abruptly.

"Except Karen." Stevie waved it off, taking a look at a drawing Roman presented her with. "Oh, it's beautiful! You're so talented, aren't you, sweetheart." 

"I'm sorry for not visiting you more often, Auntie." Jess sighed, spinning her wedding ring around her fingers. "I'm just so terrified of getting the virus and not knowing about it. I'd never forgive myself-"

"Hush." Stevie smiled, shaking her head, she wrapped her arm around her niece's shoulders. "It's fine. I enjoy our phone calls." She assured.

"I insisted we get tested before coming to see you." 

"She didn't have to force us." Alec rolled his eyes subtly. "We all care about you and your health."

"God, I feel like some fragile little crystal figurine." Stevie laughed, rising to her feet. "But thank you. Can I get you guys anything else?"

"I'd like another cup of coffee, but I'll make it." Jess stood up as well, but was quickly told to take her seat again. 

Stevie was barely out of the room, when the doorbell rang. "I wonder, who could that be."

"Are you expecting someone?" Jess asked, circling her arms around Roman, who climbed into her lap. 

"No, not really." Shaking her head, Stevie checked her appearance in the mirror, then went to answer the door. 

"Hey." Lindsey smiled brightly, holding out a single sunflower. "It made me think of you."

"I, uh... Thank you." Stevie tucked a strand of hair away from her face, casting her eyes down. "Were we supposed to see each other today?"

"Well, no, but- is it a problem, me coming over unannounced?" His face fell, noticing right away that she was nowhere near as excited to see him as he was to see her.

"No." She shook her head and repeated. "No. I just... I have company."

"Oh." Lindsey stuck his hands in the pockets of his jeans, feeling like a complete idiot. "Well, then-"

"Not that kind of company." Stevie denied his assumption and reached for his hand, giving it a tug, letting him know, he should come in. "Jess is here with her little family."

"Maybe it's best if I go then." Disappoint was clear on his face.

"Don't be silly. I'm okay with you being here if you are." She shrugged, giving him a chance to leave.

Lindsey hesitated for a second. Nobody really knew that they were back on speaking terms. They were doing a lot more than just talking. "Hey." He repeated himself, finally pulling her in for a hug. "Where are they? I really want to kiss you." Stevie drew back slightly and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. "That's not a kiss."

"Later. I promise." She winked and freed herself from his hold. "I was going to make some coffee. Do you want a cup?"

"No, thanks. I've had a couple already today." Lindsey declined and followed her into the kitchen. "Is this going to be awkward?"

"What is?"

"I haven't seen your niece in a while. I don't know, what she thinks of me and what she's gonna think, when she sees me." He leaned against one of the kitchen counters, watching Stevie move around.

"Shouldn't you be worried about what I think of you?" Stevie smirked, giving him a quick glance. 

"Judging by our last couple encounters..." Lindsey shrugged. "I'd say, you like me. A lot." He looked at her smugly. 

Stevie didn't reply. She had her back turned to Lindsey, while she opened a cupboard and took out the mugs. She inhaled sharply, when his arms unexpectedly wrapped around her from behind, then relaxed and leaned into him. He didn't waste any time, jumping at the chance to plant small kisses along her neck as her head rested on his shoulder.

"I forgot, I left Roman's- Oh..." Jess stopped, her eyebrows slightly knitted. "Um, hello."

"Hi." Lindsey pulled himself away from Stevie as fast as he could, a large gap now separating them. "It's really good to see you, Jess." 

"I, uh... yeah." She didn't know, what else to say. "I'll just grab Roman's juice box."

Left alone again, Stevie and Lindsey exchanged an embarrassed look. He felt guilty until she started laughing, shaking her head.

"What's so funny?" He asked.

"The fact that we're acting like a couple of teenagers." She gave a shrug of her shoulders. "I'm a grown ass woman in my own house. I can do whatever I want, with whomever I want."

"Yeah? You're not mad at me?" Lindsey asked, somewhat carefully, taking two mugs from Stevie to help her carry them into the other room. 

"Not one little bit. Why would I be?" Stevie replied. "I like you a lot, remember?" She smiled and turned to walk out of the kitchen. "You coming?" She stopped in the doorway, when he didn't follow right away.

~

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. I absolutely love writing this story and I have no idea how many chapters this will turn out to be. Since this is not a very long period of time, I really enjoy taking my time and writing even their smallest interactions. If you get bored, let me know! ♥