𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓-20

Lexi's POV

Mateo Costa

The name kept ringing in my head like the bells of the churches.

My hand was still clasped on my mouth as despair filled me up from head to toe, the energetic, optimistic boy is gone and he is no longer a part of this world. It's true when they say God takes back his angels promptly he was only eighteen.

I still remember two years ago when I first came to Italy and he became my best friend.

How he would never call me Lexi or Alexandra and would keep saying, "The nickname I am going to call you has to be special and no other has to call you that, that's exactly why I will call you Xandra."

The way he would laugh when he teased me or how he cried that night on my shoulder in the balcony talking about his sister.

Flashback

"

Hey, Xandra are you occupied?" I lifted my head from my book and looked up at the figure towering over me, blond hair, forest green eyes, a sharp chin that could shred cheese and the dimples were there as he smiled at me showing his snow-white teeth.

Wearing a pair of black pants and a white t-shirt he stood there waiting for my response, "Yes, yes Mat I am?" I placed my book on the wooden round table.

"Don't call me that you know I hate it!" He whined like an infant, "Well then you should stop calling me Xandra." I acknowledged smirking broadly.

" Nice try Xandra but nope." I giggled as he sat on the chair in front of me, "Exactly so we are even Mat."

He took a look around the balcony before he opened his mouth, "I see you're trying to look aesthetic, Sitting in an Italian mansion balcony drinking coffee from a fancy white cup and reading a book under the moonlight, wearing black silk pyjamas how glamorous." He teased laughing I threw the pencil in my hand at him but he successfully dodged it, making the pencil fall from the balcony.

I stuffed sending him death glares, "Are you upset about the aesthetic vibe or your pencil which fell which could have also injured someone while falling," I frowned at him which only got another chuckle from him.

"Why are you here again?" I interrogated as I breathed in the air.

"Well-" He paused placing his right hand behind his head before resuming, "I just wanted to talk to someone, as you know I don't get to see my sister often an-and you remind me a lot of her it just feels like home when I am around you and I thought maybe if I vent to someone is better than canning it in." My heart warmed up at his words, although he is only 16 but he really does act like a grown man.

"Mat you know you can always talk to me when you need me and I will always be here with open arms." I allowed at him making him chuckle before conceding, "Okay, okay Xandra don't become all cringy and make me regret coming here." I scowled at him.

"So before you beat me to death let me speak," he raised his hand in surrender as he chuckled, "This will be a long story so don't fall asleep or else I am pouring the coffee on you and your aesthetic silk pyjamas," I rolled my eyes and laid my back backward against the chair, "As you know I lost my parent as a kid in a house fire leaving and my sister back them I was seven and Vanessa was only five, when the fire started I was in the living room with Venessa playing dolls with her when I sensed the fire I grabbed her hand and ran out of the house my parent couldn't make it out since my mother was showering while my dad was reading in his room, that winter day I watched my home burn down and turn into ashes as I held Venessa's hands the firefighters arrived there late so there was no point in doing anything since the rain has already taken over their job and fought the fire. Clothes drenched in water face dirty from smoke we both stood in front of the house and that's when we knew there was no more mom not dad, no place to call home not a place to hide. I couldn't cry, scream or yell cause I knew Vanessa had fear of high voices so I couldn't risk scaring her, I did what every human does bottle it in," The tears glowed in his eyes as the light of the balcony reflected in them.