078; she doesn't need you

third person.

"astrid wants you with her for the morning," max told mollie as she nodded, looking through the fridge, "she said she wants to talk to you before the wedding."

"okay." she replied, closing the fridge door and turning around to face him, "where is corbyn going to go?"

"i'm not that obsessed with you." corbyn rolled his eyes with a small smile, "i'll be fine without you for a few hours."

"he'll be with me." max told his sister as she gave him a nod, "you're looking after iris for astrid."

"funny joke." mollie laughed, grabbing corbyn's hand and walking towards the stairs, "we're going to watch a film don't come in my room."

"actually i need to speak to corbyn," max told her, watching her immediately stop before she turned around to face her brother, her boyfriend doing the same as they both looked slightly confused.

"why?" mollie asked.

"can you not leave him alone for two minutes?" he tilted his head as his sister huffed, letting go of corbyn's hand and allowing him to walk back over to where max was stood.

"i can." she folded her arms, "what is this conversation about?"

"upstairs." max looked at her and raised his eyebrows, hand motioning for her to leave the two boys alone, "he won't be long."

"ugh," she rolled her eyes and walked up the stairs towards her room, closing her door while corbyn was sat on a stool waiting for max to talk.

he watched max pace past the kitchen counters a few times before grabbing his water bottle and eventually turning back to where corbyn sat on the other side of the kitchen island, letting out a sigh as he leant against it.

"i didn't know you were moving to california," max spoke up as he looked at him, watching corbyn frown and shake his head, "mollie was speaking to me about it."

"it's a little complicated right now."

"well she was speaking about it all," he begun and grabbed his bottle of water, "...i trust you a lot."

"that's a good thing..," he nodded.

"i know you have good intentions and i trust you with her more than anyone else," max told him before noticing corbyn's small smile fall and a look of panic appear on his face, "what?"

"i don't know where you're leading this." corbyn said, "did i do something? is something wrong i don't.. what is this for?"

max sighed while he shook his head, "i don't want to be a dick and sound like a selfish person but i want to see where you stand on this topic."

"the topic of what?"

"the topic of her wanting to go with you to la." max said, "i know why she wants to but i know she doesn't like the city and i also, i'm just not ready for her to be her own person i don't know."

"oh, we had a small argument about that." he said through a small laugh and scratched the back of his neck, "i don't want her to go if it's going to make her unhappy."

"me too." max nodded, "so you.. what did you tell her?"

"well we didn't really get to that part.." corbyn shook his head, "but we kind of suck being away from each other."

"i tried to say that it could work and i'd help but with how stubborn she can be she won't accept anything other than her moving," max explained, "i just think it would be damaging."

"she won't really know until she tries it." corbyn shrugged, "she could love it, she was worried about the college in new york but loved that."

"she dropped out though."

"only because of what happened," corbyn frowned.

"but la is filled with more people like that." max argued, "and i don't want a repeat because that won't help her."

"i'll be with her this time..?" corbyn tilted his head as max glanced away from him, "i don't know max, if you can't change her mind then you just have to let her do what she wants."

"i'm not all for her moving to la because she always says she hates it and would never move there," he continued, "but it's where i'll be and our friend group, maybe it'll be good for her to branch out."

"is the only reason she wants to move so she won't be alone?" max asked, "because she could just move in with me or-"

"you really think she's going to want to live here with a baby in the house?" corbyn raised his eyebrows, "she'll live with me, it'll be fine and i know how to help with whatever she has a problem with. you just said you trust me."

"i do trust you, more than i should." max laughed nervously as he shrugged, "but i don't want her to get hurt, i don't want anything to happen to mollie."

"if anything happens i'm there." corbyn said, "and i can call you."

"it's a big jump." max frowned, now mumbling as he looked down on the rings his fingers.

"no one is going to change her mind until she tries it herself." corbyn told him as max nodded, "do you want me to be really harsh on you?"

"no because you're going to say what i don't want to hear." he smiled and shook his head, turning away from corbyn, "i know she's twenty and an adult."

"yeah and she doesn't need you as much anymore." corbyn replied and folded his arms, watching max stare at the floor with a sad frown, "you're still the first person she calls and goes to when something is wrong but she's okay without you always behind her."

max nodded as he looked back at corbyn, giving him a slight smile and taking a sip of his water before corbyn stood up, "are you going to let her try it?"

"...okay." he mumbled, "if she wants to move then she can move, but don't tell her we talked about this because she'll have a go at us."

"i wasn't going to." corbyn laughed as he walked to the stairs, "i'll tell her we talked about the wedding it's fine."

"good idea." he nodded, allowing corbyn to go upstairs into mollie's bedroom as he was left alone.

as he put his water bottle back into the fridge, he shut the fridge door and sighed while frowning, scratching the back of his neck with a few tears in his eyes that were quickly blinked back as he went upstairs for the night.

a/n

the wedding is next chapter i'm so excitedddddd hehehe

but max 🥺🥺 what do we think abt their conversation