The Raiding of a Cowboys' City.

Previously

    I sighed as I tried to swallow my fear and steady my shaking hands around the wheel.
The red sky which loomed over everything wasn't exactly a comfort either- as I drove down winding streets and bumpy back roads. I could only hope that by the end of this mission Hank would be willing to take me back as one of their own.

——————————————————————
We continue....

The drive to the sheriffs city was painful, brutal even. The road there was bumpy and unrepaired, it was a long hour and a half drive, and it was so hot my hair was sticking to my head. And to top it all off, Deimos and Sanford had been singing sea shanties for more than half the drive, only stopping when Hank lovingly threatened to throw them both off the truck.

As we finally started to near the city, I slowed down our speed to make sure we drew as little attention as possible. My foot completely lifted off the gas once we were in sight of the city's gate, which was just barely big enough to fit our truck through. And to no ones surprise- stationed at the small entryway was a single grunt armed with an assault rifle.

I pulled up to stop right at the gate, trying to keep myself from sweating from fear as the grunt walked up to my car door.

"Woah woah woah! Hold it right there" they yelled while pointing their rifle at my doors window. I quickly rolled it down and held up my hands to show I wasn't armed. "State your name and business" the grunt was still aiming their weapon at me.

"Ethan- I'm in special agent forces, um I'm here to deliver supplies" I replied, trying to keep my cool.

The grunt lowered his rifle but still seemed to be on guard "I'm going to have to see an ID". I froze before remembering that Doc had given it to me with the agency suit yesterday, nestled safely in one of the pockets.
I pulled out my ID and handed it over to them, trying to hide the fact that my hands were almost too shaky to hold it. The grunt studied my ID for a long second. "This says you're supposed to be stationed at the southern building.... didn't that place just get hit by Hank and his two mutts?" The grunt asked.

Seeing an opportunity I rushed to speak "oh uh yeah actually um... to be honest I'm one of the only ones left! During the raid I took this truck and tried to stockpile it and with as many important weapons and supplies as I could to keep them safe from Hank. Sorry for showing unannounced but I was in a hurry". I flashed a nervous smile as I hoped he wouldn't see through me- I was never a good lier.

    The grunt sighed as they reached up to give my ID back. "Glad to see you're safe then. Try to get those weapons out back in storage when you can eh?" They said as they walked towards the gate to pull a lever, opening it to let me through. 

    "Heh will do, thanks" I nervously let out as I drove through the gate and into the familiar yet unnerving industrial setting of the city. Tall buildings sprouted out of the ground to the sky and loomed over our truck, and the smog that the factories let out blended with the yellow lighting of the streetlights to create a sickly atmosphere.
    I carefully drove down the dirty streets, trying to not bump into anything as I turned to pull into a large parking lot that connected to the building, the sheriffs building. Luckily it wasn't too far from the gate since I was already starting to panic.

    The truck came to a halting stop as I pushed on the brakes, and I could hear shuffling in the back. I took the keys out of the engine and turned to the small opening to the back of the truck which then slid open, Hanks red goggles staring at me from the darkness of the cargo space.

"We're here?" He asked, already getting impatient.

I nodded "yeah I'll get out first and find the sheriff and try to get him alone, don't show up until I've done that got it?"