Eat Your Heart Out

//warnings for cannibalism, blood, violence, and gore

Previously...

"It's gonna get dark soon" Barb took the seat next to me, and pointed at the cloudy sky. "Sure you wanna do this now?"

It was probably, what, almost five? "We'll be back before then" the motor shook the truck as I turned the key, and I snuck one last look at Ethan, who stood on the lawn watching us.
I'll be back soon princess, promise. And hopefully when I'm back, those new doses will be done.
Things will get better for us. I'll make sure of it.

——————————————————————
We continue

    Another roar of thunder shook the ground, and I scratched my neck as I watched Dimitri drive away. This was going to be rough.

    "Ethan" I turned to see Brutus standing by the door. He nodded for me to follow, and with nothing better to do than pray for the best I obeyed.
"It'll be alright" his large hand patted my back as I walked past him into the cold house. It always seemed a little colder without him.

"I hope so" things had died down now, and most of the other bandits were back to their usual routine of napping or playing cards around the house. It made the two of us stand out like a sore thumb as we went down to the basement, and Brutus started packing for us to go.

    "Where are we going?" I asked as I perched up on a table. We were in 'storage #1' now, and he was just stuffing a bag with anything he could find.

"Dimitri set out a house for us to go camp in while he takes care of Corey"

    What? "Why? I thought we were staying here-"

"He worried they might try to go after you instead. There's a place a few houses down- we're the only ones with a key. We can just hang there until Dimitri comes back" he loaded the mag of a small sub machine gun. "That way you're easier to protect" he clicked the mag in and I frowned.

    "I can take care of myself"

"Yup. That's why you got stuck in a Nexus shithole in the first place"

    Whatever. I hopped down and went to get my guns from upstairs, passing the room I heard they kept Viper in on the way there. It was Dimitri's room, the room he never really explained. I looked back, Brutus was still in storage. Maybe I could spare a few minutes.

    The door was heavy when I pushed it open, and it screeched uncomfortably loud as it closed behind me. It was empty, save for Viper, who was chained to the wall opposite of me. My heart squeezed a little and I dared to step closer, waking him up from whatever dream he was having.

    "Oi! Who's the fucker-"

"It's me! It's me!" I raised my hands to shush him "are you... doing okay?"

    He laughed, showing his sharp teeth that had scared me the first time we met. "Oh yea, doin' just lovely over 'ere, couldn't be better"

"Yea sorry... stupid question" I crouched down in front of him. Dimitri said he was the snitch but... was he really? "Did you- did you actually-"

    "Of course I fuckin' didn't! I'd never sell my family out. But the fucker that did set me up real nice. Put a Nexus wire in my room an' everything."