Flatline

//warnings for blood, violence, descriptions of gore, death

Previously...

"And this" he gestured to the board "I can explain. Whatever you want to know, I'll tell you- as long as you tell me what you know"

"Because I get the feeling-" he started cornering me to the wall, putting up his arm to block my way to the door "- that you already know much more than you should."

————————————————————-
We continue

    "Midas. His name was Midas" Caligula looked out onto the quiet city, swirling a glass of blood red wine in his hand.

It was nearing midnight now, and we had come to an agreement of sorts. His info for my trust, more or less.
    Now we were standing out on his patio over the city, leaning over the balcony to get as much privacy as we could from the thin walls of the science tower. The cold wind carrying our words away.

"We'd been close since the moment we were made- went through all that AAHW bullshit together. After all that we thought coming here would be a walk in the park"

    "What? Are you...from the agency? But I thought-"

    "Both of us are; Emmet and I. Made there just like you. Put in this program like you too"

    I would have to let that lie slip "why'd you come here in the first place? Can't imagine it's much better"

    "Didn't have a choice. After Hank tore up our station the few survivors were dropped off here, new toys for nexus to play with. They wanted to see if they could turn agency boys into top Nexus soldiers. Didn't work out quite as planned"

    He placed down his wine and turned to face me before lifting up his shirt. With his free hand he traced the same scars I'd seen as they trailed down the middle of his stomach. They seemed to be everywhere, like seams on clothes- except on skin.
    "You see, we're built quite different. I got these from when they tried to figure out how to get a simple agent up to snuff"

    His hand moved down his arms and finally, his face. "Cut to bits and skinned alive. Bastards even made me half-blind from their,,, incompetence. Can't say it was all bad though, I mean, look at me now"

    As if so show off he spun with a grin on his face "stronger, faster, and more deadly than anything the agency could've made me into. I owe my life to Nexus Core... Not everyone shared that sentiment though. It's what got them killed. Every last one of them- save for, well, us"

"I'm... sorry to hear that" my hands curled around the railing, I didn't know what to say

He shook his head "I've been trying to find out what I did wrong- what I could've done to save them. Emmet just blames me for it all. Asshole doesn't know how hard I tried to fix them"

    I bit my lip and stared into the dark sky, almost feeling bad for how I once saw him. If he was telling the truth, then Emmet lied about how dangerous he was. Couldn't imagine why.
    I turned to speak but he was suddenly right by my side. I jumped and welcomed the cool breeze to hide my warm cheeks. Cal must've had other plans as he grabbed my face to look back at him.

    "Emmets not wrong about everything though. I am guilty of, well, this" he studied my face as if looking for something- or someone.