The Heart of Nexus City

//Warnings for blood, gore, possible Project Nexus spoilers

Previously...

That was it! Our way out! We just had to make it across the commercial sector, and we would finally be out of this hell hole!

I almost laughed in disbelief when I saw it- after all of this bullshit we would finally be out!
After all, we only had one little sector to cross now, the smallest of the three in Nexus city.

What could go wrong?

——————————————————————-
We continue

This part of the city always had a sort of somber beauty to it, something that was hard to place your finger on.
It was certainly a lot cleaner than the other sections, first of all. That was mostly thanks to Nexus core being careful not to shed blood on their own turf. Not even Zeds were allowed to slip through, and no one but staff had lived here since Nexus City fell to shit.

This resulted in a ghost town of sorts; clean streets and neat storefronts made it almost seem as if it was still inhabited, but the eerie silence save for the whistling wind gave it away.
As pretty as it looked it was also a bit... creepier than the other sections too.

"So we still following the transit?" Dimitri stretched and yawned as he broke me from my trance.

I shook my head "yeah, let's try to make it in one go" I situated my bags and started walking along the empty street just as another gust of wind blew through the buildings, sounding almost like crying.
"Not even time for a break? It's 'bout naptime and we barely got any sleep last night"

Actually... "well let's check and see if the transits here are working. If they are we'll just ride out of town but if they aren't we can take a break. How's that?" Truth was I was also exhausted and a nap never sounded better.
Dimitri cheered at my suggestion and jogged to catch up to me as we walked towards the nearest transit stop. I probably knew this area best out of the three, This was where we did most of the Nexus training after all.

As we continued walking the ghostly aura of the city only got worse, especially as we passed courtyards with drinks and wrappers still rotting on the tables. It truly was as if everyone just up and left. Nexus Core didn't like to talk much about what happened to cause the City to get to where it was today- they'd only told us about a traitor named Jedediah. However I, myself, wasn't old enough to witness it's fall.

Dimitri stopped walking to look at a small fountain surrounded by dead flowers. "You really think it's safe to be walking out in the open like this? What if them shitheads catch up"

"Technically we're already right next door to Nexus Core anyways" I gestured to the science tower "but it's probably safer in here than out there"

"How so?"

"Well there aren't any Zeds, or bandits as far as I know, and NC is probably too busy with Hank right now to care. Besides, it doesn't even look like they're patrolling the area"

He nodded "still can't believe you worked with these assholes"

    Honestly neither did I, It was so long ago the details had started to get fuzzy, but I could still remember the bustling science tower and the... less than savory training. I would even go as far to say NC could be crueler than AAHW, only because they had the resources to do so.