Two Becomes One

//warnings for blood, violence, gore

Previously...

I turned around in bed, and shifted to stare out of the open window. Rain softly tapped on the glass, and I watched every car that drove by like a hawk. I couldn't keep doing this. Living in this strange, paranoid limbo- it was hell.
    I needed to start unpacking these weights on my chest.

    I needed to tell Dimitri how I really felt.

————————————————————-
We continue

I woke up before the sky did, the pit in my stomach demanding I stay awake.

It was too dark outside to find comfort, and too cold to leave the refuge of our covers. I wasn't sure why I'd woken up so early, but I wasn't finding solace in sleep anytime soon.
Besides me Dimitri was still sleeping, his days of being the first to wake up were over. I was taking watch now.

I quietly rolled out of bed and tiptoed to the bathroom, where my bloody shirt was still soaking in the sink. The water was now a bright red, and I winced in having to unplug the drain. I threw the shirt on the towel rack and frowned at the dark brown stains. Nothing I could do about that.
I finished washing up and shrugged back into my dress shirt, still crumpled on the floor from when Dimitri dropped it. As I got ready for the day my mind floated back to sitting by the tub with Dimitri, and my face grew warm. The bliss of childish love was short lived once I remembered Dimitri's cold shoulder.
    It didn't matter, I couldn't keep this to myself anymore. I had to tell him.

My stomach growled. I'd have to worry about that later. Our room door creaked as I snuck out to the lobby downstairs, where I found Toady trying to eat a clearly burnt omelet. "Hey! You're awake!"

    "Shhh!" I pointed upstairs

"Ah, sleeping beauty's still out?"

    I nodded and he offered to brew me a cup of coffee. I liked Toady. He set me down in his kitchen and didn't pry when I didn't have a good answer for why I was up so early. He left me alone to tidy up around shop, though it didn't look like he got many customers. So instead I just sat and waited for Dimitri.
    As the morning sky started to brighten with the ghost sun, my foot tapped anxiously, and I paced the empty floors. I waited, agonizingly, for the agency sirens to start up outside the door, for the flashing lights of engineer motorcycles to drive by and see what I'd done. But nothing. At least, not as far as I could tell.

    Granted, I could hear sirens out in the distance- but no one ever came looking for me. No one seemed to care.
    But that was just it, wasn't it? The higher ups didn't care if a few agents got knocked in the middle of bumfuck Central. They'd just send the next poor suckers in line for us.

    It's what made me sick most of all. I was one of those lackeys not too long ago. And I knew they didn't give a shit about anything other than surviving. That's all any of us cared about in the agency. Survival. Had the roles been reversed, I would've been the one in that backstreet. It made me think to how I revered Hank just a couple months ago.

    "Oi, don't you get any sleep anymore?" Dimitri stumbled in, tying back his curls in a messy bun.

    Honestly, the last time I got good sleep was in Cal's personal prison for me. "I slept fine."

He sat down at the small round table across from me, and a loud obnoxious clock on the wall made it clear how many otherwise silent seconds were ticking by. I wasn't sure what to say, or if he even wanted to talk about it.