Last Chance.

//warnings for possible project nexus spoilers, mentions of death

Previously...

He paused to take another drink and scooted over so I could sit next to him.

"Just take a seat, I'll try to help with what I can; If I'm being honest, you just ran shit out of luck when you came here. You should've never came, and if we're not careful- neither of us are making out of this alive"

————————————————————-
We continue

His words sent a chill down my spine and the rooms mood shifted from comforting to cold as I sat back down. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Rubbing his temples he let out a tired sigh "look there's only so much I can tell you. If I try to talk about it too much,,, well" his hands started to fidget in his lap.

I got the message and reached out for his shaky hand with my own "hey it's okay- you don't have to tell me everything but I'm just...scared. Of all of this shit going on, anything would help"

He nodded with a deep uneven breath, his eyes flicking over to the door like he expected someone to break in any second "We-we used to have this friend, right? He and I were close but it was nothing compared to what he and Cal had...but...he died five years ago"
As he spoke he refused to look at me, his eyes dark like his tone "it hasn't really been the same for us since,,, especially for him"

"I'm sorry to hear that but- what the hell does this have to do with me?"

"It has everything to do with you. Listen, Cal's been- ugh how do I say this... unstable since then. And I don't want you around any longer than you have to be. The longer you stay the worst he's gonna get and-"

"It's that guy in the picture isn't it" he finally looked up when I interrupted him "that picture you have by your bed; there's someone that looks exactly like me"

If he looked tired before then he looked exhausted now "yeah that's.. that's him. I'm sorry I know it's stupid but, I've been trying to keep him steady for the past five years. You coming here, Cal seeing you, it's just fucked everything up. I hate to involve you in our drama but I guess we're past that point now"
So that's what this was about. Caligula's friendly behavior, and Emmet on the opposite spectrum. It was all over grief, then.

I got up from the couch and to the door, if that's all it was then it was nothing I couldn't handle. I would just have to watch out for trouble and Caligula I guess... although surely a grieving man couldn't be too much bad news.
"Where are you going?"

"Back to my room- you're tired I can tell. Thank you for the warning but, I think I'll be fine"

"Wait! You don't understand! Cal- he's-" I turned around just in time to watch as he fell to his knees, clutching his face like he'd seen a ghost.
    "Emmet?! Are you okay?" I rushed to his side but he denied my help, pushing me away and never letting go of his mouth.

    "Just give me a minute" his voice was barely a whisper so I took a step back and simply watched as his chest rose and fell deeply. "You're Right. I think you should go"

    He was still glued to the floor which meant I'd have to go back alone. Great. With one last failed attempt of helping him up I stepped through the door and out into a pitch black hall. 'Who turned off the lights?? '