'Hybris'

// warnings for blood, violence

Previously...

"The fuck are you on about?"

"He didn't tell you? Oh alright then, I'll spell it out for you. Give me Ethan, and I won't send everyone here to be dissected like lab rats"

Dimitri turned to look at me, brow furrowed under his mask.

"We have a deal?"

————————————————————-
We continue

"GO TO HELL"

Dimitri threw his radio to the floor, the thing shattering into pieces in a fit of rage.

"Ethan- we're leaving. Now." He grabbed my hand and yanked me out of the room, flying down the hall as he muttered swears under his breath.

"Wait so, they're back at the base?" I was breathless, my long legs struggling to keep up with him.

"I dunno how he found us-" we flew down the stairs to the second floor "- but those agents- they were just a ploy to make us think he didn't know. Bastard must've heard about our plan and left before we did"

    The panic he poorly hid in voice did little to calm mine, and as we hurried to the first floor we found Viper and Corey at the staircase waiting for us.

    "Hey, Brutus told us what's up" Corey clicked off the safety of his gun.

"But they found Skinner!" Viper screeched, causing us to stop dead in our tracks.

    "Skinner?.." Dimitri's grip on his axe tightened "is he..."

    Viper tugged on his hand, urging us to follow them back into the trashed lobby, where Brutus and Barb sat on the floor; a bloodied Skinner between them.
    We all rushed over, my heart pounding so loudly I feared the others might hear it, and crouched next to his resting figure.

    "He's not dead boss, don't worry" Brutus murmured, holding a bloodied rag to his cheek. "Just- a lil' beaten up is all"

    My stomach sank with what could only be guilt. Cal must've found out he'd been helping me. Dear god.

    "Think he'll make it to the new camp?" Dimitri was pacing the floor behind us.

Corey sighed "he should, he's got nothing too serious. We got lucky"

    "Right, then help me lift em up" Dimitri pulled on Skinners much larger arm, and Brutus got under the other, lifting him off the floor and dragging him towards the hole in the wall.
    "Oi love, mind getting a Nexus truck for us with that card? That way we can carry Skinner back"

    I nodded and rushed outside, desperate to help, to make up at least somewhat for what I undoubtedly caused. I settled on a cargo truck parked not far from where our bikes were, driving it back to the entrance with a shaky breath as they pulled Skinner out and into the back of the truck.