A Guilty Conscious

Previously
//severe blood warnings, gore, mentions of torture, violence

I sat up in bed, a loud, single gunshot ringing through the halls. As the minutes after carried on with no more disturbance, I laid back down. I didn't have to go check- I already had a pretty good feeling about who that  bullet was meant for. I closed my eyes again as a I wished agent 259- and that tracker- a final farewell.

——————————————————————-
We continue...

    Night had long since fell when I finally opened my eyes again. Well I could only guess-  you couldn't really tell the time using the sky around here- it was always either red or a darker red.
   The dormitory room I was in was almost pitch black however, the curtains were drawn tight and every door was closed. I could just barely  make out the shapes of sleeping agents in the bunks next to me. All silent and peaceful.
    I sat up in bed, realizing that I was still fully dressed, and started to unbutton my blazer and white undershirt- tossing them to the side of my bed. My shoes and pants quickly followed and I settled down- finally comfortable. I went back to sleep, unaware of the horrors that waited for me the next day.

——————————————————————

    "Ethan, wake up! Ethan were going to get an earful if we're late!!" When I came to again someone was shaking my shoulder, urging me to get up and ready.
    I groaned and sprung up, forgetting to be careful for my stitches and letting out a cry from the pain.
Chris was right next to me, pulling my arm to get me out of bed while agents walked past us, out of the dormitory. Noticing that everyone else was dressed, I hopped to my feet and started searching through the nightstand next to me, looking for a suit my size.
The night drawers that sat besides each bed were full of suits with different sizes, that way it didn't matter which bunk you slept in, nothing here was personal. It was just one other thing that got on my nerves about this place- nothing was your own, always someone else's.

    Once I was fully clothed chris took my hand and together we walked out of the dormitory, following the group of agents infront of us out into the hallway. But there was something strange about the main hall- a weird odor that filled the large space. It was faint so that it wouldn't make you sick, but strong enough so that it couldn't just be ignored. I turned to Chris and gave him a 'what the fuck' look, only getting a shrug in return. As we continued down the hall to the main office however, the smell only grew stronger. It smelt strange- almost like something had gone sour. Like when grunts would leave their hotdogs out in the Nevadian heat for too long.

    But that didn't stop us from walking onwards. The group of agents ahead of us- and even a few engineers that had joined- all kept walking towards the main office, looking for orders.

    They didn't stop walking. Not as the smell grew stronger and the atmosphere grew sickly. They didn't stop walking, not even as we passed the bloody and mangled body of an agent strung up on the wall, like some proud and sick display. My jaw dropped as I saw the grotesque scene, and my heart ached in what could've only been guilt... that agent was the one I had been talking to the day before... the one I had snuck the tracker onto. It was hard to tell from the blood and gore that seemed to replaced his features, but it was him. I was sure of it.

I could feel Chris' hand squeeze mine as we continued down the hall. I just couldn't look away- at every small detail of the disturbing sight- the large metal stakes that held up their limp body-not until we left the hall into the main office.

    Since there weren't that many of us there the agents lined up against one of the walls, including myself, awaiting orders. Not long after one of the engineers that had been walking with us stood infront of us all, a pistol in hand.