'Welcome Home'

//warnings for blood , possible madness project nexus spoilers

Previously...

    'It's only a couple of days, after that we're scot-free. We can do this. We can do this...' my poor attempts to relax were in vain as we entered the first level of the science tower, and essentially, into the belly of the beast.

————————————————————-
We continue

    A strong smell of cleaner and gunpowder filled the air, and the lights overhead were bright and blinding as we walked through the ornate double doors and into Nexus' reception area.

It was almost too much to take in at first, the Nexus logo plastered everywhere, and the large desk that sat in the middle of the room. Impossible to miss- it was surrounded by screens reporting live security footage, and sat in front of two escalators leading to somewhere where I could hear the hum of voices.

At the front desk sat a single man, thumbing through papers and looking like nothing could stop him.
Certainly a lot to process, especially with my still pounding heartbeat. It was almost as if my eyes had a life of their own as they shifted from one thing to the next- trying to take it all in.

    "Wait here"

    I jumped slightly, broken from my overwhelming thoughts as The agent who had been leading us went to speak with the man at the front desk, leaving us standing awkwardly in a circle as we all gawked at our surroundings.
    It looked... nice, in a way. The reception room was decorated rather welcomingly, with large chairs and tables to sit at, even though it was anything but. Because Despite the warm welcome I couldn't stop the slight shake in my legs as we waited to be signed in, praying anyone who noticed would blame it on the small heel.

"Follow me"

Like loyal dogs we perked up at his command and started following as he walked towards the large escalator nestled behind the reception desk. But what was more impressive perhaps were the two robotic guards that rolled out of our way as we each hopped on, beeping something I obviously couldn't understand.

Wow.

    Not even AAHW had tech like that.
    I was so busy staring at the damn robot that I had almost missed the huge Phobos statue as we went up, placed in between the two escalators. I wanted to roll my eyes when I saw it. 'Of course they have another Phobos statue' it wasn't surprising, but it also wasn't pleasant. I didn't like the way it's lifeless eyes seemed to follow me, almost as if it knew of my deceit.

Maybe that's what scared me so bad- not that I had to be around NC in general- but more so that not only mine but Dimitris life were dependent on my ability to stay under the radar. If I fucked this up it was over for me, and most importantly him.

My sulking must've took up the whole escalator ride, because by the time I'd snap out of it someone was nudging me forwards, off of the escalator and into the mixes of something I certainly didn't expect.
The hum I heard earlier came from an array of different agents, engineers, and hell even a few breachers, all sitting and chatting without a care in the world. They all sat comfortably in large booths around square tables, and didn't seem to notice us as we walked up into the small bar area.