Familiar Faces

//Warnings for blood, gore, possible MPN2 spoilers

Previously...

After all this time of nearly dying, of running away, and fighting for my life we could finally have a moment of safety.
And as Dimitri started up his snoring again I too started to drift to sleep.

I was calm, relaxed

That was until I heard a bit of rustling, and felt a large arm drape over my shoulder, pulling me closer.

Shit

—————————————————————-
We continue

    There was nothing but the quiet swirling of a ceiling fan and my own, slow breathing as I suddenly came to with a gasp.
    Another nightmare, unsurprisingly. Although I could never remember the details I could always remember Chris being in them.

    Maybe I missed them more than I'd like to admit...it hurt still. We could've ran together. Dimitri would've liked him.

    My heavy eyes opened to see a dimly lit room and I struggled to resist sleep, trying to force my eyes to stay open as long as I could.
    I turned over to find the other half of the bed empty, as I'd expected.

    Dimitri seemed to be an early bird- and he was nowhere to be seen

    With a big stretch my foggy thoughts started to come back to me as I sat up in bed
    It was then when realization slapped me across the face. I had asked Dimitri to,,, Sleep with me???!

    The horror and embarrassment of what I'd done hit full force as I instinctively covered my face. Why, why, why had I done that??
    I was tired last night, sure, but tired enough to be bold and just plain ridiculous?

    As I started to calm down I tried to reason with myself- I mean it's not like anything happened. We just slept in the same room, as adults.
I had to be mature about this. It was only so that we would be safe together, right? A tactical move

    A big sigh fell from my shoulders. I knew it meant nothing in the long run- but just the thought of being so- how do I put it- dependent? Reliant? Maybe even affectionate; it bothered me.

    That kind of shit was only good for one thing; getting you killed- and I should know that better than anyone else.

———

    Despite the flutter in my heart about last night I still wanted to check on Dimitri- so wth a groan and a stretch I forced myself out of bed.
    But Right as I was about to open the door my hand flinched in pain.
    Shit. In my flurry of flustered thoughts I had almost forgotten about my broken right hand.
    Even my left hurt from the burn- but at least it was bearable.
This was going to be a lot harder than I thought.

    The house I had walked the night prior seemed a lot more welcoming in the morning, as the house was now lit by a soft pink glow of morning time.
But when I stumbled into the living room I was surprised to find it empty, expecting more of a crowd.

Well, empty save for a smoker than sat on the torn couch, morning cigarette in one hand and tablet in the other

"Look who's finally awake" he said without looking from his tablet. "Your friend was right- you are a heavy sleeper"