Nexus Unit: Tango

//warnings for blood, gore, possible MPN2 spoilers

Previously...

Nexus Core was here; practically at our door, armed to the teeth.

    Whether they were here for the two mercenaries that were long gone by now, or they had figured out about me and Dimitri; it didn't matter.
    Gripping Dimitris arm I turned to him, my heart in my throat

    "We have to go- now".

—————————————————————-
We continue

Chaos ensued as the both of us ran from the window and scrambled to get everything ready and packed.
Dimitri made sure to gather all of our scattered supplies while I stuffed them into our bags.

Medkits, flashlights, bullets, and more- all had to be accounted for as we didn't want to leave anything behind marking our presence.

"Do you think they know we're here?" I shouted from the bedroom as Dimitri brought me one of my glocks, still in its sheath.

"No- they probably would've busted the door down already if they did" he sounded breathless, probably from running all around the apartment.

My hands flew as I packed the rest of our cartridges and zipped up our bags, handing Dimitri his duffel bag as I rushed to the bathroom.
I had brought a spare set of clothes with me, expecting to get dirty- but not expecting the last pair to get charred.

My heart was beating a million miles a second as I dressed myself, fumbling with the buttons of my blouse and vest. Shit shit shit I don't have time for this!!
I decided to ditch the tie- didn't have time- and ran out of the bathroom to grab my bags.

Dimitri was already dressed when I hurried into our room, understandable since he rarely wore anything other than pants and work boots.

   "Ready?" He flung his bag over his shoulder and clipped on his mask

    Strapping on my own bag I made sure I had everything- bag, handguns, the rifle strapped to my back, and Sanfords earpiece- still in my ear.
I nodded "yeah, let's go"

    We had to be quiet- well no shit- but that was easier said than done. The floorboards were old and creaky, and the men outside had started searching nearby buildings. It was only a matter of time before they would reach ours.

    The apartment had a sad aura as we left, and I was thankful for the small moment of peace it had given us- but we had to leave now.
    As sad as I was to leave, the feeling of being watched never left. I never did see that shadowy figure again while packing,,, maybe it was just my imagination?

Dimitri had already started jogging down the stairs when I snapped out of it- waving me to follow.
Together we rushed down the stairs, making sure our flashlights didn't hit the windows as we descended. Without stopping we made it about halfway down the building, breathless, when

BOOM

    A loud explosion rattled the already fragile building, and we stopped dead in our tracks
    "They must've blown the door down" I hissed.
    Shit- that meant they were looking through our building now. Going down and escaping out the back door was no longer an option