Blood On My Hands

//warning for blood, gore, violence

Previously...

Tumbling out of bed I went to grab it, noticing that it wasn't just another red note here to mock me. It was small, white, and cold when I picked it up.
    It was wet; I noticed it was painted in what could've only been still fresh blood- and when I turned it over in my hands I choked.

    It was Edwards agency ID card.

——————————————————-

    It was a shit show.
After finding Edward's card I went to tell Badger the bad news- his friend was probably dead. He didn't believe me at first and went to look for him himself- that was until he stepped outside and the whole block could hear him scream bloody murder.

-

    Now we were both in my room, waiting for the agency to clear out so we could leave without being seen. I would've guessed Cal would have the decency to kill Eddie somewhere else and drop his card off here- but I was wrong. I guess I gave him too much credit.

    That monster had just left his body outside for Badger to find when he tried to leave, just barely hidden in the alley next to the motel. I hadn't seen it myself, but considering that the agency had been here for hours now just trying to scrape him up- I knew it couldn't be good.

    Probably why Badger wouldn't stop crying, grabbing fistfuls of my vest as he sobbed incomprehensibly. I felt awful, truly awful. I knew it was my fault his friend was dead, if they hadn't gotten mixed up with me none of this would have happened.
    "I'm sorry" I spoke quietly as I held him, trying to offer comfort in the only way I knew how. "This is my fault"

    "No" he shook his head, hair pulled out of his bun and getting stuck to his wet face "it wasn't your fault"

"But I-"

    He suddenly grabbed my wrist "did you kill him? Was it your hand that did that?"

"Well- no-"

    "Then it's not your fault" his voice was stern despite the tears, and he let go of my hand before falling back into my chest "I just- I've known him for so long now- and now- now it's just"

"It's okay. I understand" over his sobs I could make out the muffled voices of agents outside our room, talking about what could've happened. We should get going soon, before they start asking questions. If they recognize me it's over, and Badger didn't need that sort of trouble right now. "We should start packing up- when you're ready to" I proposed gently, still stroking his hair.

    "I'm ready" he sniffed and got up from the bed we both sat on "I'll just grab my things" he left the room and left me to think, an inherently bad thing. The moment the door shut behind him I sprung up to pack my own things. It hurt more to put into words adding Eddie's card to my 'collection'.

I didn't know him well but I felt awful, and scared. When was Cal going to just hurry up and finish me off too? How long did he plan on doing this- and... was Badger in danger too?
We weren't best friends or anything, but he was all I had except for Cal. That was more important than anything to me right now. Plus- if I was being honest, he kinda reminded me of me back at the agency. He had an air of naivety around him that took me back to when I used to think me and my friends were invincible. I just hated that he had to learn the way I did.