Its All About Trust

//warnings for possible project nexus spoilers, blood

Previously...

He slowly got up from his chair and to the door behind me, which I'd left slightly ajar. It closed with a soft click, and my stomach dropped.

"I see potential in you, Casey. Mind if I ask you some questions?"
All traces of anger in his voice were gone and replaced with something cold.

I gripped my fist and prepared for the worst. "Of course you can."

————————————————————-
We continue

    "Care for some tea?"

I sat rigid in my seat, unmoved, stoic. Trying to disappear on the spot- with no luck.
    "I think- think I'm fine, thanks" I was breathless, fighting to keep my cool.

    "Your loss" was all he said as he returned to sit atop his desk facing me. I didn't say anything as he gently grabbed my chin to look up at him, a small smile on his lips. "You know I called you in here because I wanted to ask you something- an offer, perhaps"

"Which is...?"

He let go of my face, but didn't stop staring- as if he was trying to see right through me. "Like I said- I See potential, potential that's being wasted as an engineer. So I'd like to offer you a chance to work with me instead- as a soldat"

What? That's what this was about? I stared down at my bandaged hands in confusion. 'Why was he asking me this?'

    "So how 'bout it? Think you're up for the task?"

My chest felt unusually tight- what was I supposed to say?? "Uhm... could I... have a few days to think about it?"
I needed to stay by Emmet's side for this, and going to work under Cal instead certainly wasn't the way to do it. But then again, I worried of what would happen if I said no. Would I look suspicious for denying such an opportunity?

"Oh but of course! Silly me, I should have offered you some time to mull it over. It's a big step- and not an easy one" he clasped his hands and gave me a pitiful look, always so expressive. "Give it a day and come back to me, no pressure"
    He got up to the door and motioned me to follow "I'll escort you to your room, it's getting late for a rookie like you to be out 'n about"

    He walked infront of me, leading me back the way I came. It had gotten even darker outside and the few engineers I'd seen earlier had all vanished. It was just us in the white barren halls with an awkward silence between us, until another pair of footsteps joined in.

    In almost slow motion the two of us passed Emmet, who's face changed from bewildered to furious as he saw us. He must've been coming back from the mess hall to his office. Nervously I bit my lip and continued following Cal, who didn't seem to mind at all.
    In fact he seemed rather amused and chuckled to himself as we walked down a long dark stairwell back to the dormitories. The doors were closed and locked, everyone else must've been asleep.

    "Thank you for hearing me out, Casey. I hope you come to make the right decision" he reached up to Pat my shoulder before waltzing away. Huh.

A shiver ran down my spine as I thought more about it- the weird feeling I got around the both of them- that Emmet and Cal were hiding something, and I had just been caught in the middle of it.