Bite at The Hand That Feeds You (pt1)

//warning for violence, blood, mentions of cannibalism

Previously...

My thoughts went to how Cal's keycard was able to open my room- but he had no reason to sneak in here.
When I got into bed this time though I noticed something.
It was a little emptier than usual;

Dimitri's mask was gone.

———————————————————
We continue

    I struggled in holding back tears all morning.

    It was gone- though I hadn't moved it at all. It always stayed in my bed, where it could be comfortable.

    But it was gone.

    Getting dressed, brushing my teeth, grabbing my ID as I left the room. Tears pricked at my eyes and I was biting my lip to keep it from shaking. I felt as though what little I had of him was gone. He'd be so mad if he found out...

    On my way to the cafeteria I had to look away from every agent I saw- worried they might see my watery eyes. My plan failed however when I ran into a friendly face.

    "Ethan! I was on my way to go see you!" Skinner waved at me with his clipboard and I quickly rubbed at my eyes. "It's time for your checkup- hey,,, are you doing okay?"

    Deep breaths. "Y-yeah. I'm fine" shit. Despite my efforts more tears started to flow, and hiding it became pointless.

"Here... it's okay" a large hand gently grabbed onto my shoulder to guide me, and we walked away from the cafeteria together. "How about we go to my office instead and you can tell me what's wrong, sound good?"
I didn't bother with speaking- so I nodded and tried not to become a sniffling mess. How could I lose it?

——

"Just make yourself comfortable- and if you need anything feel free to let me know. I'll just be checking your vitals"

We were back in his office where Skinner danced around me taking my blood pressure, checking my blood samples, and asking about how I was doing. Obviously it wasn't well.
    I explained to him- best I could without crying- that I'd somehow lost his mask.

    "Your mask... that cyber bandit one you've been carrying around?" Skinner asked with a look of concern.
    I nodded and he shook his head "you didn't lose it- I saw the commander with it earlier"

What?

"What do you mean, Cal had it?"

Skinner nodded as he tapped the side of a syringe filled with my yellow blood. "Saw him with it this morning- he was heading back to his room I think"

"But... why would he have it?" My voice broke again and I rubbed my sore arm from all the needles.

He didn't say anything for a few long seconds, instead glancing at the wall behind us before looking back down. I looked to see a camera perched on the ceiling above us. Could he not tell me or something?
"Might be better if you ask him yourself" he finally grumbled.

With that he turned away and motioned for me to follow "well! Everything seems to be looking good! Let me know if anything changes okay?" In an instance his cheerful demeanor was back and I was practically rushed out of the door. "Anything at all". His voice lowered again and suddenly the grip he had on my shoulder tightened.