Too Good to be True

// warnings for blood, manipulation

Previously...

But for some reason that seemed wrong. It didn't feel... right. And the constant nagging that there was more to it, that I wasn't seeing the whole picture, just wouldn't go away.

If that was the case though... what did he want with me?

———————————————————-
We continue

    "How are we feeling?" Skinner asked before gently taking the needle that was giving me morphine from my arm.

    I shrugged as he unhooked all the IVs, checked my bandages, and made sure I wasn't hurting. I was being discharged after a couple of long boring days in the med ward. He also said I could ditch the wheelchair as long as I was careful about it.
    I'd still have to come back for frequent checkups but it was better than sleeping all day thanks to the drugs.

    Although if I was being honest I wasn't exactly exited to leave either. I wasn't sure what was next- or what Cal had planned for me. It was because of that I'd asked for skinner to chaperone me to my new room. He seemed surprised at first but we had really gotten to like eachother, or at least I did.

    He always listened when I told him about Dimitri, and he picked up pretty quick that I liked him. It both hurt and felt nice to talk about, like I was reliving memories.
Skinner would also always sneak me coffee despite my strict diet of nutrients and fish oil pills. He seemed to sympathize with me in a way that felt... nice. I didn't feel as alone when talking to him.

"Well, here we are" Skinner smiled under his mask as we walked through dark halls to the commanders suite.

It was strange, the entire facility felt more like a ghost town than anything. According to Skinner it was due to a lot of the staff leaving to fill in for the science tower after they fired everyone.
Now the dormitories were empty, the mess hall silent, and the corridors barren. It didn't help that most of the lights had been shut off to save resources, so most of the facility was pitch black despite it being only around nine pm.

"Remember to check in with me tomorrow, we can't let that get infected" he winked and poked at my gut, getting a small laugh out of me. "Ah right, before I forget" he reached into his pocket and pulled out something that looked minuscule in his large hands, handing it over "Commander Umbra said to give this to you- good night little bud!"

    With that he turned on his heel and retreated back into the blackness of the hall. I was alone again. I turned that thing over in my hands and found it to be another card- but it wasn't Chris', or Emmets, or something I stole off of some poor agent. It was mine. How long had it been since I had my own card?
    My old agency picture was in the corner, and next to it read; 'Agent 247, Engineer Ethan'

    It lightly shook in my hand. Engineer? I was... officially a Nexus engineer? This had to be Cal's doing. Using it I unlocked the smooth white door infront of me and it whooshed open with a gust of warm air.

    Frowning I put the card away in the pocket of the sweats Skinner had given me. I wasn't sure how to feel about that... a nexus engineer. A month ago and I maybe would've been ecstatic. But now,,,

    Whatever, I'll worry about it later. I stepped inside and my jaw dropped.

    It was huge, bigger than any room I had at the agency. It had tall ceilings and a loft much like Emmet's- where I'm guessing where the bed was. To my right was it's own built in kitchen and a small island adorned with candles.
    Infront of me was an open, cozy living room filled with typical black furniture and a large white orchid. Clearly a lot of thought went into decor.