Chapter 50

Y/N

Taehyung's penthouse was in one of the most luxurious buildings in Seoul. It had a great view of the Han River, and I have been here a couple of times for work. Also that time with Jungkook and the kids.

Taehyung went to his room to put on a shirt and I walked to the floor to ceiling windows to get a view of the river below. It would be a romantic view if I had a glass of wine in my hand.

"These are the papers that were given to us by Secretary Moon last week." Taehyung returns with a fresh shirt on and with files in his hand. "Jungkook thought that there was something wrong with the numbers so we asked the finance department to give us another copy."

"And the new ones?" I took the file and Taehyung sat next to me on the plush leather couch. He grabs some other papers from the coffee table and hands them to me.

For the next couple of minutes I poured over the numbers with the calculator that Taehyung had procured for me. I highlighted the accounts that were changed and calculated the differences on the side.

"I feel useless." Taehyung spoke up and I glanced up from the papers in my lap. Taehyung was just sitting there perfectly straight, ready for anything I gave him. He looked like a puppy who was waiting for orders from his master, or an employee on their first day of work.

"Go give me some wine or coffee then." I chuckled and turned back to the papers. "Also find me the previous month's accounts as well."

"Drinking in front of your boss while working, Y/N?" Taehyung gets up to grab a bottle of wine from the kitchen and returns with the bottle and two glasses of wine.

"Number one. I technically don't work for you anymore. I work with you." I grabbed a pen from the coffee table and used it to twist my hair into a bun to work seriously. "Number two. Weren't you the one who said that you weren't my boss after work hours months ago?" I reminded him of the time I went to the club with Avery and ran into him and Jungkook. "And lastly, can you really look at all these numbers and not get depressed? Alcohol is the only remedy."

"Touche." Taehyung poured a glass of wine for each of us and we clinked glasses.

Since Taehyung had felt useless, I had given him the job of calculating the differences between the different versions of company accounts that I highlighted.

The two of us had spent an hour or two looking over the accounts, trying to figure out how everything went wrong.

"The accounts given to you and Jungkook are smaller than the numbers given by the finance department." I leaned back against the leather couch and tapped my lips with my pen. "Did you guys change suppliers or did the prices go up?"

"We've been using the same suppliers for years and if there was a change in price then I would've been notified by it."

"Then you know what I think?" I glanced at Taehyung and circled the large sum of 5 million dollars written on the side of the paper. "Someone's been embezzling your money and they have for the past two years."

"And how have they been doing it?" Taehyung's jaw clenches and he scrutinizes the papers I had given him.

"The costs for fabrics and other materials are largely inflated. At first they started small, but whoever's been embezzling your money has gotten bold." I pointed to the differences between the accounts from two years ago and the accounts from just a few months ago. "Then the shocking thing is that the accounts return back to normal when the previous financial leader retired."

"So you're saying that Mr. Yang was the one embezzling money?"

"I'm not saying he's the only one, but he was the main source." I poured myself some more wine. This was going to be a long chat. "He was obviously working with someone else. My first job was being an accountant at a firm. I handled accounts for companies so it's not the first time I've seen embezzlement. It always ends with some corrupt head of department or partner who steals the money." I waved a hand at him and took another sip of wine. "There was so much drama that I quit and started working at Shining."