Chapter 53

Jungkook

There was something about watching Jihyun and Ji Ae sleeping on their shared king sized bed that brought me peace. The two of them were snuggled up together on the bed and fast asleep despite it being late in the morning.

Yesterday must've tired them out a lot and they fell asleep with their stomachs full of sushi.

I felt bad for having to wake them up from their slumber so we could head back to Seoul. We were to spend the whole weekend in Busan, but Sana's appointment had to cut it short.

I was about to wake them when I could hear my phone going off in my room. I grabbed it and was surprised when I saw Y/N's name pop up on my phone. She calls in the morning and at night to check up on the kids, but it was never my phone that rang.

"Morning." Y/N's tired voice greeted me when I answered the call. "How are you today?"

I didn't miss the slur of her words when she spoke to me. "Are you drunk?"

"The fashion show is three days away. I'm not allowed to drink after tonight because I'll look puffy so we went all out." I could practically see her sleepy smile. I sat on my bed and rested my back against the headboard. "Everyone else was pretty drunk, but I wanted to drink some more red wine."

"You'll turn into an alcoholic." I teased. Wrong mistake.

"I guess it runs in the family." She dryly chuckles and I instantly wish I could take it back. "Guess what I'm drinking." It took me a while to think, but then it hit me. The wine of our first night. "It tastes good, you know. It was my favorite wine."

I imagined Y/N curled up in a cozy chair in her hotel room sipping a full glass of wine. The line was silent as the two of us got lost in our thoughts. I glanced out the window where the clouds partially covered the sky. Halfway across the world, she probably had a clear view of the moon.

"I don't want to ask you if you regret it, because you've told me a hundred times already that you don't. I'm grateful for that, but I won't stop apologizing." Maybe because it was the fact that she was drunk that the words easily came out of my mouth. However, it felt as if I was the drunk one spilling all my secrets. "I wasn't a father for years and I tried to be, but we both know how that turned out. Now I'm failing miserably, but trying to make things right."

"I have faith in you." She answers softly.

"But not enough to let me take care of them while you were in New York?"

"That's because I'm gone for a week. I wasn't sure if either of you would be able to handle a week without making things worse." There was a small laugh. "I guess I was wrong. Ae loves staying with you. She sounded so excited when she told me you picked them up from school. Hyun seems to have softened up too. He acts like he has a grudge, but I know better. He admires you. He told me about boxing yesterday. He wants to learn more from you."

Now this came as a shock to me. Most of the time when the kids are on a call with Y/N, they talk privately. Ji Ae's reaction came to no surprise because I knew that she was a daddy's girl, but Jihyun will always find a way to surprise me.

"He's a momma's boy. I'm afraid to tell you that he was just interested in learning ways to protect you and Ae. It has nothing to do with me."

"He's just like you. It's difficult for him to show different kinds of love. Love for me and Ae can come easy, but he's never had a father to love before so he doesn't know how to. For you, you only had a short time-" She cut herself off with a yawn. Each word grew heavier with sleep. "With your parents so you may not know how to give fatherly love. But it doesn't mean you don't feel it. You just need to recognize it."