Chapter 2: Friarridge

So this isn't too confusing I'll let you in on a secret :D
This doesn't follow either Blaze or Alaria...

Just for anyone this is a trigger warning, this chapter does reference a little bit of verbal abuse, so please this is a warning and I'm sorry in advance.

Enjoy the chapter.
- Brax Xx

Friarridge:

First, we must realise that today is no ordinary day, it's a day of magic and mystery... the day of the 'Glowing'. The 'Glowing' is the day when the 16-year-old residents in town find out if they are to become a dragon rider or whether they will live their lives here in Friarridge without.

"Larkin get your f*cking ass downstairs. NOW!" A deep voice can be heard streets away. Lark a girl of 16 who will participate in the 'Glowing' today scurries downstairs as fast as a frightened hare to see what her adoptive father wants. Larkin or Lark for short has long flame-red hair which covers her sharp features and gorgeous ice blue almost white eyes, she's small in height and has lightly tanned skin.

The warm weather in Friarridge means many people are scuttling around the village centre, the warmth soaks into the house through the open windows. "Sorry Abe, I was getting ready for the 'Glowing' ceremony." Lark quickly curtsies before watching Abe carefully.

"Let's go b*tch. I want the best spot and you're not stopping that from happening, especially since you won't be getting to go to the academy. You're a worthless piece of sh*t that nobody wants." Abe scowls at the young girl who just looks down before following him out the door. He never used to be this cruel, he was a loving father but since her adoptive mum's passing, he's unpredictable and violent.

A dark chocolate brown carriage with red highlights pulls up to their house. Lark lives a lonely isolated life apart from when she is with her best friend Azima, Azima also happens to be her next-door neighbour, well more so the house opposite hers on the other side of the road but shhh. Zim for short is who Lark spends all her time with, together they explore the forest and work at the stables near the edge of town. It's their dream to go to the academy together but it may not happen with Abe around.

The carriage pulls away from the house and Lark stares sullenly out the window, she knows that in a short time she will be away from Abe for hours and spending time with her best friend which she's glad about but in this current moment, she's sitting beside someone who resents her existence. Zim and her have been best friends for longer than they can remember, when Lark's adoptive mother was alive they used to spend a lot of time at Zim's family's house. After the passing of Sara, Abe treated Lark horribly. Swearing and threatening her left and right, the two were never close but after years of this Lark is never around, always staying at Zim's or coming home late and leaving early so she doesn't have to be around him.

Only 10 minutes later the carriage arrives at the ceremony. A group of kids Lark's age are huddled over to the side with some Dragon Guards, Dragon guards are respected and defend the villages against intruders from foot or dragon back.

"See you after the event." Lark throws herself out of the parked carriage before Abe can threaten her and she sprints away towards the group of 16-year-olds. Standing on the edge of the crowd is Zim, her pure black hair and slanted grey eyes tell everyone she isn't from around here. She's a gentle soul but is feisty if and when required. Zim is slightly taller than Lark but still on the shorter side. The two girls hug and make their way over to the large group of teens, the amount of toxicity radiating off the group is huge. In town, there are the main cliques and each doesn't get along with the next, Lark and Zim don't particularly fit into any. Nobody holds any grudges against them, and they don't join any groups.