Chapter 4: Fooooood

FRIARRIDGE:
Third person -

Larkin and Azima awoke after a peaceful sleep to the sound of popping bacon. The two girls shot up out of bed and rushed to get dressed and race to the kitchen, where Zim's father was cooking. It was the day before they had to leave for the academy and the pair had a load of things they wished to do before they had to leave.

"How'd you kiddos sleep?" Bruce asked watching Lark rub sleep from her tired ice blue eyes.

"Greaaaat... except the wind made the big oak tree outside my window bang into the window!" Zim whines and yawns, flashing her slightly crooked teeth.

Lark giggles quietly to herself remembering last night when Zim whimpered and grabbed onto Lark waking her up. Zim is practically fearless except she doesn't like windy nights because of the spooky oak tree outside her bedroom window. However on the other hand Lark loved the wind it covered up the moaning that usually came from downstairs when she was at Abe's house.

"Breakfast is served madams." Bruce bowed with a flourish as he waved his hands at the food. "Bon appetite." The two starving teenagers tucked into the delicious breakfast. They loved these mornings when they spent time together and just chatted making jokes and eating Bruce's amazing cooking.

"What's first on the list?" Zim glances at Lark questioning before facing her food again.

Lark continues eating before replying. "Let's go shopping? We haven't been in a while plus there's a few extra things I need and so do you." Lark smiles at Zim trying to read her face.

Zim's eyes light up at the prospect of shopping. "It's a plan." She exclaims before looking up realising how loud she spoke in the quiet kitchen. Unlike the typical rich family, Zim's family have never had servants, maids or waiters. They loved to do things together or for themselves, ever since Lark's known them they always did stuff for them self they are kind people who don't abuse their power or money. That is mainly why she respects them but they also treat her like family. Abe on the other hand is constantly abusing his power which doesn't even belong to him, the respect and money that he abuses was from Lark's adoptive mother. Lark never understood why she stayed, yes, Abe clearly loved her but abused everyone around him. He is a cruel man with no mercy or moral which was the exact opposite of Sara, she was kind and graceful always willing to help others.

Quickly the two girls finished their hearty meal and headed to Zim's room to change. Before reaching her room however Zim went and asked her mother if she wished to join. When Lark and Zim were small their mothers used to take them shopping together they often turned it into a girls day out. They were some of Larks happiest memories of her adoptive mother. Although she knew she was adopted she called Sara, Mum, but never called Abe dad but rather just Abe. Sara was a kind hearted soul who always looked for the best in people, and always was willing to help. When she passed away the whole town was affected but mainly Lark, she never had siblings and Abe wasn't much of a father figure.

o-o

Zim's mother, Mindy, agreed to go shopping with the girls so the three headed out. Lark had some money she had saved from over the years but Mindy wouldn't allow her to use it instead she bought Larks stuff for her and told her to save up for when she finishes at the academy so she can move out away from Abe.

"I'm hungry!" Zim complained after a short while of shopping. As if in agreement Larks stomach started gurgling too.

"I'll take that as you're hungry too Lark," Mindy smiled waving her hand for the girls to follow.

Lark smiled sheepishly, "A bit yea..." she followed along until they came to a small cozy cafe, they decided because it was such a gorgeous afternoon they wanted to sit outside in the sun. The waiter came over and relentlessly flirted with Zim - although both Lark and Mindy were right there - before asking for their order. Lark ordered a BLT sandwich with water, Zim ordered a bowl of wedges and Mindy got a salad wrap. The three women sat in comfortable silence basking in the warm afternoon sun, looking up at the sky they watched dragons of all shapes and sizes fly past. It wasn't unusual to see dragons fly past however it was unusual to find dragons fly past in such large numbers. Groups of 10 to 20 dragons flew by, too far up to be of any harm but not low enough to clearly watch.