Chapter 28: A crack and a Scream... or three

Lark POV:
With everyone busy with classes I was able to scamper away to my spot by the lake, hidden by trees but had the perfect view of the landscape surrounding me. I loved this spot. Quiet and tucked away, my own little slice of wonderland.

As I sat looking out across the water thinking I heard a rustle come from the undergrowth to my left. My head snapped in that direction only to find Grayhem with his hands raised in mock defeat.

"Why do you always start with your hands up?" I smile laughing quietly to myself as I watch him come sit beside me. Over the past few days we have gotten closer, we hang out quite often and he is usually over at my house hanging with my roomies.

"How'd you find me?" I turn to face the serene lake in front of me again as Gray comes and sits beside me, our arms brush and I smile softly.

"I followed your scent," he grins as he looks at the water too, "you're my mate Lark..."

I turn to face him, mate... I watch him curiously. Yes, he smells devine and mouth watering good, yes, he's smoking hot but I don't get the tingles that I've heard others talk about. I enjoy being around him but I don't love it.

A mumble an incoherent sentence and nestle into his side in hopes of him dropping the topic. I need to talk to Ria and Zim.

We sit in silence for a while, I soak in the concept we may be mates. When we are near each other I don't feel the connection, I don't feel my conscious jumping up and down screaming.

I can feel Teeki getting restless in the pendent around my neck, still only Ria knows about her because I don't know how others will react.

"I need to go sorry..." I mumble to Gray, he nods his head and kisses the top of my head affectionately.

"Ok... I'll talk to you later." I stand up with Gray and wander in the direction of my house. The house looms into view and I marvel at the magnificence of the large building.

Traversing up the flights of stairs, I enter my perfectly decorated room. My golden egg is still settled in the little nest of my clothes where I originally placed it. According to our teachers we mustn't touch the eggs so they can form without being jostled around. Walking up to the egg I gently stroke the surface and sing softly to it. I know my voice isn't very good but it's mine. Smiling I wander over to my bed and flop face first onto the plush doona.

A knock comes from my door and Zim pops her head in, she walks in closing the door behind herself and she comes and plonks down on the bed next to my head. The bed dips from her weight and she looks at me smiling.

"The roomies having a movie night, you in?" Zim asks while looking around my room. I nod my head without responding and sigh softly.

"What's up?" She sighs and lays down beside me facing me.

"Nothing..." I murmur into the bed.

"I've known you since we were like 5, Lark. Don't give me that." She rolls her eyes and looks at me with her eyes narrowed.

"Finne..." I drawl out and sit up scooting to my pillows.

"It's Gray... he-he claims we're mates..." I mumble quietly.

"That's great Lark!" Zim smiles, noticing my sullen face she stops speaking and waits for me to continue.

"You know how when others speak of their mates they say how they get tingles? I don't get them, there's nothing other then the smell." Quietly I peek at Zim's face, her face is blank of emotion as she thinks about what I've just said.

"Have you asked him?" Is all she says as she gazes at me.

"No... I don't want to..." I look away and roll onto my back, I'm scared he will scream or refuse to speak with me.