Chapter 6: Surprise shooters

Skycrest:
Third person:

The shots rang out across the town centre, everyone went into a panicked frenzy. What had happened? The dragons lifted their wings protecting the Riders and Isalors, the shooting kept going. Screams echoed around the area and whimpers could be heard rumbling from all around us.

Lark looked at the other three teenagers who all had matching panicked expressions. Harley and Mr Tavil stood discussing what to do a few feet away. They couldn't just leave the kids while they fought but someone had to stop them. The shots never ended, over the clamour of the citizens you could hear the roaring of more dragons.

Apparently Harley and Mr Tavil had called in backup, an ocean blue dragon followed by a red dragon shaped blur. Together the two dragons worked in harmony shooting water and fire at the shooters.

After a few minutes of fighting no more gun shots could be heard and Sulphate and Hemplale lifted their wings. There was mass destruction of the village from the gunshots however nothing irreplaceable.

"Who were the shooters?" Zim frightened voice shot out from behind Lark, everyone looked at each other before turning to the two new riders.

"We don't know their names but the town's protectors have taken them into custody there were three men. Is it alright if we take you to them? They were after all aiming at you four and these two." One of the riders gestured towards the 4 new recruits and Harley and Mr Tavil.

"We are on a tight schedule!" Mr Tavil grumbles, but from a glare from Harley he grumbled agreeing, "Fine let's be quick."

"Sulphate, follow!" Harley commands her dragon at the same time Mr Tavil commands his.

"There were no injuries that the Protectors have found yet but the shooters have sustained minimal injuries." The extra rider informs Harley and Mr Tavil of all the information as they lead the small group to the overnight jail.

Lark looks around at the horror that just took place, she walks arm in arm with a shaken Zim towards the town jail. She can't believe someone would try to kill them, especially since they will end up being part of the protectors. Shaking her head to get rid of the thoughts she follows the riders.

"Here we are, there is a protector to take you down to see them." The rider gestures into the Jail house and everyone enters quietly.

Kalan and Thalium stay silent taking it all in, no-one was expecting this especially since they know most people in town.

"This way." A gruff voiced protector gestures for the group to follow. After seconds or minutes they reach a room with one way glass. A man with dark eyes, stubble, dark clothes and scruffy hair is staring straight at the one way glass.

"I know you're there, the girl deserves ta die, just like 'er motha did." The man spits on the floor beside where he is seated and continues glaring at the glass.

"I-I know him..." A small voice pipes up from the front of the group. Lark.

Harley turns her gaze from the gruff man to the small girl, "Who is he? How do you know this-this filth?" Lark glares at the glass. She has always hated this man but never guessed he would do this.

"He is one of the men Abe, my adoptive father, plays poker and goes to brothels with. I've never trusted him, he always tried to push himself on me after my mother passed away." Lark growls at the man watching him, the bruises on his face have turned green and purple and his clothes are singed and wet. "Oh and his filthy name is Connell, I don't know his last name."

Zim gently hugs Lark from the side trying to calm her down, the anger that's been boiling up for years is finally almost to the top of the jar of anger she has.