Chapter 3: Dragon... not dragon?

Skycrest:

The cold wintery days fly by, in only a few hours a week has gone by. Ria and Blaze had spent all their time together huddled up inside with books and hot chocolate. The days were getting colder and shorter, more dragons flew over head as the days passed quickly and without much excitement. The only excitement was when Ria switched Blaze's hot chocolate for warm pink milk, his least favourite flavour. He had spat the milk everywhere then chased Ria around her house until he finally caught her and decided to have a tickle fight. Mature right?

Over the past few days dragons flew overhead some clutching large; what appeared to be baskets in their claws. Each day that week Ria had had a sense of almost dread following her around, she knew there was something coming but what?

Blaze and Ria were both allowed out for the day, free from their parents as they both knew that the snows would stop them from going out. Both Blaze and Ria adored the outdoors so they were sent out for the day with the promise they would be back before supper.

Obviously something went pear shaped, they were running about the forest together, Ria shooting homemade arrows from her homemade bow hitting each target. The bow had always been her best weapon, she could spot small amounts of movements and shoot quickly without having to move more then an inch.

Up above the canopy a loud rumbling growl was heard, the leaves rustled signifying something had just crashed through them. The ground shook from the impact of something large, Blaze and Ria shared a knowing look and took off running in the direction of the crash unsure what they would find.

The pair stumbled over roots and fallen trees, leaves crunched under foot and the melting snow had started turning the soft dirt ground to mud. As Ria and Blaze raced through the trees they slipped and slid all over the place, they pushed on feeling an urgency to hurry. Up ahead a loud pained howling they couldn't ignore screeched through the frigid air, the idea that possibly something was injured caused pain to Ria and Blaze noticed her shift in emotion. Ria was fighting to catch her breath but refusing to stop as she stumbled through the dense forest faster than she thought possible in the cold breezy air.

Bursting out into a clear field in the centre of a patch of trees they found a large scaly mound, the scales reflected sky blue with darker blue around the head and wings.

Cautiously the pair circled the large creature, there appeared to be a saddle on the creatures back and a small but deep gash down it's side under its wing. Blaze crept over to where Ria hid in the bushes watching the creature. It appeared to be just bigger than a horse but not as big as a carriage.

"Look, there's someone over there." Blaze whisper yells while pointing to a small barely moving lump on the ground.

"Should we help them?" Ria gazes at the mound having already made up her mind. "Never mind we are, or at least I am." She turns facing Blaze defiance and stubbornness all over her angelic face. Blaze nods at her, he knows she will do it to save the creatures life so he may as well help or she's gonna get injured.

"Come on, no sudden movements." Ria leads the way over to the guy on the ground, she inches closer and suddenly the beast growls. The loud sound reverberates around the field but is aimed towards Ria and Blaze. Both of them jump in surprise as the beast turns it's head to them. Ria being clever dips her head and signals for Blaze to do it too, both bow before looking up not looking the dragon in the eye.

"The dragon is gorgeous." Blaze looks at it's scales and wings, before nodding at Ria to check the wounded rider.

Alaria's P.O.V

I am no dragon... The small creatures whines.

I look at the dragon... not dragon? - with an incredulous look. What the f*ck. I can hear you...?