Chapter 7: Little Miss Dunce

Friarridge: RIA
Third person POV:

Ria woke the next morning unable to sleep from the stress of what the day will hold. Rolling over she feels a warm lump pressed against her side, thinking back to yesterday she remembers the pup she rescued.

Titan lay curled up beside her on the bed, tiny whimpers are coming from it's small frame. Gently, as to not scare the poor thing, Ria lays her hand an the small pup's body in hopes of calming it. She successfully manages to stop it's whimpering and instead it emites a happy rumbles similar to a cat's purr.

Rolling over to check the time her clock states it's 7:30, forty-five minutes until Blaze is coming over. Stretching Ria lays back down and cuddles Titan, imagining what the day will entail, hopefully not too much human interactions.

Lyle told them he knew one of the examiners so that's good but what exactly is the 'Glowing' ceremony. How does blood glow? All these questions are racing through Ria's head making her restless.

"RiRi! Are you awake dear?" Ria's mum calls from the kitchen, her parents get up early most days to set up the restaurant.

"Yea..." Ria grumbles not liking waking up this early but unable to fall back asleep.

"I'm coming in." Her mother's grouchy voice comes from outside the door.

"Sure. Whatever." Holding Titan close to her she looks at the door as her mum walks in with a glass of orange juice.

"Here," She hands Ria the glass. "So... Today is the 'glowing' ceremony, have you heard of it?" Her mum stumbles over her words.

Ria just nods her head while sitting up to drink the juice.

Shock crosses Daphne's face. "How? Who told you?" The exclamation confuses Ria, why does it matter if she knew?

"The kid Blaze and I saved in the forest a few days ago." Ria shrugs not seeing the issue.

Daphne grimaces before continuing. "Well, today is the day and it starts at 9... You will go up the front and cut your hand with a dagger and your blood will mix in the cauldron-y bowl thing and if it changes colour you are a rider then a reflection of your Isalor's face will appear. If you are an Isalor the blood shimmers but doesn't change colour."

"Isalor?" Ria looks at her mum in question before dawning realisation sets in but her Mum has already started explaining so she lets her explain..

Sighing Daphne explains, "An Isalor is sort of like a bodyguard, they train and go through all the classes with you so they know how to work with dragons and wyverns but they can't command or mindlink the mount. They can mindlink the rider however only once they have got a dragon and bonded fully. The Isalor gets first pick in jobs and other positions over a normal human because they can work with dragons and riders."

Ria nods understanding all of what she is hearing, but one question plays across her mind. "Can two riders be each others Isalors? Or can the Isalor not be another rider?"

For a hot second they sit in silence Daphne trying to figure out the answer. "It can happen, I have heard of a few cases but not many. I wouldn't get your hopes up Dear." She kisses Ria's cheek and looks at the small pup bundled in Ria's arms. "How's little Titan today?"

"He's better than yesterday, he got his laziness from me." Ria jokes smiling at the ball of fluff.

"It's a boy I see," They smile at each other, they have both always preferred males in dogs and cats they are usually more chill in their experiences. When Ria was younger they adopted a female kitten from a friend of theirs whose cat had given birth to 4 kittens. That cat, pure evil. It hated everyone except her and her mum. It put up with Blaze but hated Ria's father.