Invested

I signaled for the door to be knocked down.
"POLICE!!" We'd been investigating a case for two weeks now. I kept my gun raised as I walked around the apartment.
"Son of a bitch." I muttered. Graffiti splattered the wall, uttering; DAY 14.
"Well, let's see what he left us this time." There was a bed and a tv in the room. We checked the bed thoroughly, opening up the box spring and a mattress. I saw something glimmer.
"Amanda, hold it." I stuck my hand into the mattress and felt a cylindrical object.
"What is it, Liv?"
"A disc." We put it into the DVD player and were horrified by what we saw.
"Okay, take it off. That's enough."
"This goes straight to the FBI now, doesn't it?"
"Not without a fight, it won't."
***************
Bedtime (My Bedroom) (Leia's Perspective)
"Okay, you've got your Lolo Kitty, Carrot the Bear, and Maia. I think you're all ready for bed, missy." Kathleen told me. I sighed.
"I know bedtime isn't the best, but we had a lot of fun today, didn't we?" I didn't answer. I wasn't happy.
"Did we not have fun today? Because you told me that me taking you to paint your nails scored me some bonus points."
"We did have fun."
"Okay, so why are you being quiet?" I sighed again.
"You don't get it!" I told her.
"Then help me get it." She sat on my bed and I sat up.
"We had fun. But, Mommy takes me to do my nails, and Mommy usually makes crafts with me and cookies."
"Ohhhh."
"You miss your Mommy." I nodded.
"And when we do those stuff, it makes me miss her more. I like doing fun stuff with you Kathleen because you're my sister and I love you a lot. But I miss Mommy."
"You know, when I was younger, Dad worked a lot more than he does now."
"He did?" She nodded.
"And you know what I would do when I missed him?"
"What?"
"I would call him as much as I could or I'd write him little letters and sneak them into his stuff before he left for work. Would you like to do one of those?"
^^^^^^^
"Mommy!"
"Hey, pumpkin! Look at you all ready for bed! Did you have fun today?"
"Yes, I went and got my nails painted with Kathleen and Bella!"
"Ooo, let me see!" I showed her my blue and purple nails.
"Sassy, I love it! Thank you so much for calling me, my sweet angel. I missed you so much."
"Me too. Mommy, are you coming home soon?" I heard some noise in the background.
"Yes, sweet girl. And, because you've been so good, I'll bring you back a treat as well. Is that good?"
"Yes!"
"Good girl! Okay, I have to go! I love you so much! Tell your brothers and sister I said goodnight. Sweet dreams." She blew me a kiss. I kissed the phone and said goodbye.
"How do you feel?"
"A little better. Can I write a letter too?"
"Of course, in the morning." I went under the covers and Kathleen tucked me in.
"You need to get some sleep first." She kissed me and made sure to tuck me in really tight. I'm really happy that I got to call Mommy.
********************
The 16th Precinct (Olivia's Perspective)
"Okay, what've we got?"
"From all of the locations, we've got different sets of courses ranging from illicit photos of minors to videos of them. We've been able to pinpoint some of the locations. One is a hotel in Midtown."
"Where an illegal ring was being run, with the head manager knowing."
"Okay, and so far that is the only instance in which we caught someone concerning the case."
"Yes, but they're not letting up."
"Who the hell is this mystery guy, and where are they??" I asked, thinking out loud. All we know is his screen name. ThatGuy3435. No IP address, nothing.
"None of the clues left behind really help identify who the person is-"
"But rather the crimes they have committed." I put up the pictures of the two kids in the video. We need to find this guy so that we can save them. Their poor helpless faces. Since I've become a mother, these cases have hit me much harder.
"Okay, is there anything and I mean anything in the video that can help us place where they are?" Amanda zoomed in.
"There's a bridge in the background but we can't see enough of it to identify where. Or at least, I can't."
"And that's why I've called in a friend of mine." Fin said. A slender man entered the room.
"Hello, my name is Nick Bentley, a geographical expert for the NYPD."
"Pleasure to meet you, please tell me that you can help us find this prick." I said while shaking his hand firmly.
"Fin sent me the video about a day ago. You isolate the sounds to focus on the traffic in the background...." He did a few clicks and taps before playing the audio of the video again.
"I don't get it." Fin said.
"Yeah, it sounds like a regular busy day in NYC."
"Ahh, but here's where you're wrong. I'm going to dim down the traffic a bit more." More clicks and taps.
"Tell me what you hear."
"A train. So that cancels out the Brooklyn bridge."
"Yep. And not only that, the sound of the water. If you ask me, this has to be from the Williamsburg side of the Williamsburg bridge."
"But doesn't that leave us with several blocks of apartments?"
"Ahh yes, but the angling helps up tremendously. The southeast portion of the bridge is shown which leaves us with these buildings in its proximity."
"So, we go through those buildings and we've got our guy."
"If he hasn't moved yet."
"Which is why we need to start moving."
"Sadly though, it is too late at night for this. We're gonna have to take a crack at this in the morning." Kat pointed out. Son of a bitch wins again.
******************
The Kitchen (Monday, July 10th) (3:15 AM) (Bella's Perspective)
Lately, I've been feeling really hungry at around 3 am every night and I'm not sure why. I munched on a cookie. But sweets hit different at this time of night so I'm not complaining. I heard the garden floor door open and the alarm silencing.
"Mommy?"
"What are you doing eating so late?" Oh, forgot to mention, she hates it when I eat so late. You know maybe that's why I've been doing it so much lately, Mom isn't home.
"I'm hungry. Are you done with the case?"
"No, I'm just here to get a little sleep and freshen up."
"Mom, I wanna-" She was already in the guest room, the shower running.
"talk to you about something." I said, whispering the rest of my sentence. It's like my Mom isn't even my mom anymore. Ever since this case spouted up she's been moving like a machine, coming home at times like this, and just focusing on the case. I want my Mom back. I want the Mom who's always checking in on us, always making me laugh. I want the Mom who watches cheesy reality tv with me. But most of all, I want to be able to open up to her, because right now, I can't. I feel like I'm talking to an alien. I want my Mommy. I geared up to go upstairs to my bedroom.
"Bell, did you want something?" I heard her say faintly.
"No."
******************
2 Days Later (Home) (Olivia's Perspective)
4:47 AM. I've slept for approximately 5 hours and I was ready to head back to work.
"Alexa, stop the alarm.." I whispered. I didn't bother making the bed and hopped into the shower. It's just been...work, home, work, home. As I got dressed I heard a soft tap on the door. I opened it to see Leia holding a stuffed animal.
"Why are you up sunshine?"
"You were loud." She stated.
"I'm sorry that I woke you." I sometimes forget about the connecting hallway between our rooms.
"Are you going to the gym?"
"No, to work."
"Oh." She put her thumb in her mouth.
"How about I tuck you in, it's still really early." She shook her head.
"No thank you, I'm gonna ask Lucy."
"Leia, she's sleeping. Let me tuck you in, it'll be nice and quick." I held her hand and she let go.
"I don't want you to tuck me in. You do it bad now because you work all day and all night. You don't tuck me in the way you did before." She said rather bluntly.
"W-Well, can I give you a hug?" She shrugged. I hugged her and she didn't return it.
"Okay, off to bed." She went back into her room. Leia has never been like that with me before. Am I working too much?
^^^^^^^^^^
The Squadroom (11:35 AM)
"FBI, we're coming in!!" They stormed the building like madmen.
"Hey, this is in our jurisdiction." Kat said.
"Well everywhere is our jurisdiction. The suspect is producing and possessing child porn all over the country. We've been trying to find this guy for a year."
"Oh, so now you're coming to take our evidence now that we have a lead and make it look like you did all the work. Sweet." I commented.
"Sorry to be such a nuisance to you sweetheart, but we're going to need all of those files on our perp by the end of the day." As they shuffled out I rolled my eyes.
"Well, if I needed a reason to dislike the FBI, there it is. Right, Liv?" I'd usually laugh at what Kat said, but I was thinking.
"Do not turn over a single report." I said.
"What?"
"We're not turning over anything." I walked back to my office and closed the blinds. I exhaled.
"Liv, are you okay?" Fin asked. He closed the door behind him.
"I'm fine."
"You're not. I get it, this case is close to you. You struggled to find all of the people that hurt Bella, but do you think being like this with the FBI is going to help?"
"I hate it when you use logic against me."
"Go home, spend time with your kids, Elliot. You've just been shuffling in and out of here. I know you love this job, but don't neglect the people you love most. You'll regret it. And Liv?"
"Yeah?"
"If you wanna talk, I'm here."
^^^^^^^^^^
Starbucks (Lexington Ave.)
"Hi, can I please get a grande salted caramel cream cold brew?"
"Long day, or just treating yourself?"
"A bit of both." We both chuckled.
"Could I also get 6 warmed chocolate chip cookies?"
"Of course." I paid, picked up everything, and started making my way back to the car. Then, my phone fell out of my back pocket.
"Shit. Please don't be broken." I bent down to grab my phone and saw two black boots in front of me.
"Need any help?"
"Excuse me, do I know you?"
"You don't have to. You better stop investigating 'ThatGuy' or you'll be sorry."
"Oh really, no I think your buddy will be sorry." I raised my eyebrows.
"Your daughter....Leia, is it? She goes to gymnastics around here, doesn't she? Tuesday's and Thursday's?" How did he figure that out?
"Not so brave now, are you? Keep investigating, and I'll be sure to pop in during her next private."
****************
505 East 74th Street (Elliot's Perspective)
"Here taste it. Tell me if it needs a little salt." I said to my favorite little helper.
"Just a little bit more, and some pepper!"
"Daddy, how come you're staying home?"
"Because I wanted to spend time with my Leia boo."
"Why won't Mommy do that too? Then we could have a family day."
"Mommy's working on a really important case."
"She's looking for a really bad guy?" I nodded.
"I hope she catches him, I want everyone to be safe!" At that moment I heard the front door open.
"It smells delicious in here."
"Mommy??!" She hopped off of the counter and ran to Olivia.
"Liv, you're home?" She smiled at Leia and gave her a big hug.
"Hey, pumpkin! Oh, I've missed you so much."
"Me too." I could see tears falling from her eyes.
"I'm so sorry that I haven't been here much. Do you forgive me?" Leia nodded and kissed her.
"We can do whatever you want to do today. What do you want to do?"
"Hey Liv, when are we going to talk?" I asked her.
"There isn't anything to talk about. What do you wanna do, Leia?"
"Can we go to Build-A-Bear? Please??"
"And then get Shake Shack?" Olivia asked her.
"Maybe..."
"Alright, grab your shoes let's go. Where's everyone else?"
"Eli's at Kathy's, Bella and Noah are with friends...Liv slow down. Are you okay? How come you're home so suddenly? Is everything alright at work?"
"Mommy, my shoes are on."
"Okay, let's go!" The two of them left and Leia waved. She was being weird. It isn't like her to come home after a case like hers and just suddenly run off with Leia, without even checking in with me. She's hiding something.
"Liv?!!" I could tell that she was ignoring me.
"Liv!!!" Something isn't right, and I don't know if I trust her with Leia right now.