Adjusting

West Side Therapy (Friday, August 9th) (Mady's Perspective)
"So Mady, how has it been living with your foster parents?"
"Umm..it's okay." Dr. Grey smiled.
"What makes it just okay?" I played with my fingers.
"M-Maybe it's good?"
"Okay, take your time sweetie."
"It's good because I can eat a lot and play a lot. They tuck me in at bedtime and I have two sisters and a brother."
"That does sound awesome! Do you have any negative feelings about it? You know, the ones we said make you feel a bit yucky inside." I nodded.
"Well, a little, but I shouldn't talk about it. I can't."
"Why not, Mady?" I started to cry.
"Because I'm supposed to be a happy girl. I have to be grateful."
"Well Mady, you can't be a happy girl all of the time. It's normal to be sad sometimes, it's actually more concerning if you're happy all the time. And about being grateful...you could always be grateful and sad. That's okay." I sniffled.
"I just really miss my mommy. But she was mean to me. I don't know why. I don't wanna talk about it anymore."
^^^^^^^^
"Hey Mad, how was therapy? I got you a cake pop." Olivia said with a smile.
"Don't wanna talk about it." I stared at the cake pop and looked away.
"That's okay. You don't have to talk about it. You know, Bella and Leia sometimes feel that way after therapy too."
"Huh?"
"You're not alone, Mady. I even go to therapy too. Some days are hard."
"And talking about it sucks!" I said. Oops.
"It does. You know Mady, if you ever wanna talk about anything, I'm here. Elliot's here. Even Bella and Noah and Leia too." She hugged me.
"Thanks, Livy."
*****************
August 10th (Southampton) (9:21 AM) (Leia's Perspective)
It's my 8th birthday! Today I'm having an epic big-girl pool sleepover party with my friends! I'm excited because we're gonna do girly things like painting our nails and face masks and gossiping! Well, only if Mommy's not around because she doesn't like that kind of thing even though she does it herself! I went into my bathroom and took a really quick shower and brushed my teeth!

"*****************August 10th (Southampton) (9:21 AM) (Leia's Perspective)It's my 8th birthday! Today I'm having an epic big-girl pool sleepover party with my friends! I'm excited because we're gonna do girly things like painting our nails and fac...

Then I put on a nice big girl outfit that even Bella said was cool.
"Hi!!"
"Leia! Happy birthday!" Mady ran up and hugged me. It's really weird to be a big sister, but I kind of like it! Mady always plays fairies with me but sometimes she comes into my room when I don't want her to, but she's very nice!
"Thank you."
"Me and Mr. Elliot got you a present you have to open it first."
"Okay! But we have to have birthday breakfast first!" I held her hand and we ran back to the kitchen.
"Oh my goodness! Come here!! Happy birthday, sweet girl!" Mommy was making pink pancakes! My favorite!
"Thank you, Mama!"
"I can't believe you're 8. It feels like we were throwing your 5th birthday party a second ago. Are you excited for tonight?"
"Mhm! It's my big girl sleepover!"
"I know! Me and Daddy have a big surprise for you but it'll have to wait for later."
"What is it?!!" I asked while munching a purple waffle (I love purple now too!).
"If we told you that ruin the surprise, wouldn't it?" Daddy asked while rubbing my back.
"Hmmmm, not really! I could just pretend not to know what it is when you give it to me!" Everyone at the table laughed.
"Oh, really?" Noah asked.
"Yep! In theater class we worked on facial expressions."
"Well Leia Mae, presents are best left a surprise so you're just going to have to wait, okay?"
"Fine, only because you asked nicely."
"Leia is so sassy these days? It's crazy." Bella said.
"I wonder where she got it from." Mom said with a laugh.
"She did not get her sassiness from me. How'd you know she didn't get it from you? You're always so sassy with Elliot."
"Bella's right, I have to agree with her this time." My birthday was starting off really nice! I can't wait for my besties to come over and for the people to come to set up my party! This is going to be the best 8th birthday ever!
**************
1 Halsey Path (1:30 PM) (Bella's Perspective)
Leia's friends are about to be here, so I'm helping my mom and the workers set up. I'd rather be with my boyfriend or on the beach but Mom said I could have a friend over while I helped.
"How did we get stuck making the gift bags?!!" Paisley asked.
"I wish I knew! This is boring."
"Hmmm, welllll we could make things a bit fun."
"How?" Paisley finished a bag before getting up and running through the rest of the backyard.
"Paisley! Pais!" I giggled and ran after her.
"Where are you going?!!" I soon realized we were running towards the beach by our houses. Paisley finally stopped when we could hear the waves crashing.
"This is fun?"
"We're not making gift bags anymore, are we?" I smiled and sat next to her.
"Isn't it weird?"
"What?"
"The other day we were Leia's age. Our biggest worry was whether or not our parents bought us those stupid Justice tops and if we'd be allowed to swim in the pool."
"She doesn't know how lucky she has it."
"Now we gotta worry about like-"
"Boys. And they could ruin our day with one little thing. Then we gotta worry about how we look."
"It's annoying."
"So annoying." We both giggled.