Summer Ends

Saturday, August 25th (Manhattan) (Olivia's Perspective)
"Mama, look." Bella entered my bathroom with the biggest smile on her face.
"You look gorgeous, bear! Aww, you're wearing the necklace that I gave you for your 10th birthday."
"Thanks. Ooo, what an extravagant makeup look, Mrs. Stabler." I rolled my eyes. We chatted a bit as I finished up.
"Ready?" I was excited to go to Phoebe's bridal shower today, not just because we're celebrating the future union of my best friend and the love of his life, but because I get to spend more time with my girl. I have been home a bit more these days and I'm loving every moment of it.
"Yep! Let's go." We headed to the garage and Bella started the car for me.
"Kathleen isn't coming?"
"She's going to meet us there with Maureen and Lizzie." I told her. I looked over and she was on her phone.
"Who are you texting?"
"Julie."
"With that smile?"
"Am I not allowed to laugh at something my friend sends me?" She asked jokingly but defensively.
"Okay, missy." I replied. She is so shady.
***************
59th Street (12:04 PM)
"We're here!" I yelled.
"Ohhh Liv! Right on time, come, come!" Phoebe hugged me and kissed Bella on the forehead.
"I assembled the party favors last night."
"Thank you, sweetheart, you can rest them over there." Bella put them down and made her way to the backyard.
"Thanks for coming, really."
"No problem Phoebe, you're family. Now, let's get this show on the road!" Bella was helping Phoebe's niece, Dana with the finishing touches.
"You girls are doing an amazing job." They smiled.
"Ahhh, I'm nervous."
"Don't be, it's fine. Take a deep breath. We've got everything covered. It's okay."
^^^^^^^^^^^
"Alright, so the next game we're going to play is: Where Were We? Okay, so I'm going to show photos of the beautiful couple (Fin and Phoebe) on their amazing vacations and it's up to you beautiful ladies to guess where they were in each pic. The person with the most correct guesses wins a prize at the end?"
"Can we play as teams?" Sasha asked.
"That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea. Alright, teams! And you'll get a shared prize." Bella and I glanced at each other and smile. She's thinking what I'm thinking.
"Mom, come!" I pulled up a chair next to Bella.
"We're totally gonna win!"
"Well, duh! I have a knack for figuring things out-"
"And I've talked about some of these places with Fin." I said.
"So that you can use them for secret trips with Elliot? I know about your secret trip to Orlando with him, Mom. You're not slick." Bella said with a smirk.
"How do you know about that?!"
"I have my ways. Plus, you don't just suddenly have some joint operation together."
"I guess you're not wrong." Amanda put up the first picture and we looked around.
"I think I texted Uncle Fin about this one." Bella whispered. Bella and I stayed cool, calm, and collected while everyone was going crazy.
"Okay, think."
"I see palm trees, but that definitely isn't Florida. Wait...didn't they go to San Diego?!"
"Put that down, put that down."
"Okay, time's up! Show your boards!"
"Hmmm, okay...Florida, Texas, The Bahamas, San Diego..." Amanda paced back and forth.
"It is...San Diego! Olivia and Bella won this round."
"What can I say, we ate that. We're gonna eat up this entire competition."
"Hey...choose your words wisely." Kathleen declared.
"You don't stand a chance against us. I'm sorry to have to tell you that." I said. Bella and I fist-bumped and waited for the next round to start. I wrapped my arm around my teenager —much to her dismay— and kissed her.
"Mom, we are in public!"
****************
The Terrace (2:56 PM) (Bella's Perspective)
Phoebe's bridal shower was fun. I thought it'd be boring because I'm the youngest here, but it's pretty fun. We've played some really fun games and stuff. While everyone was inside chatting, I decided to step outside for some fresh air.
"What are you doing out here by yourself?"
"Nothing." Mom sat down next to me.
"Are you having fun?" I nodded.
"I just wanted to say, you seem a bit happier. Are you still having those negative thoughts?"
"Sometimes, but only if I allow myself to go there. I've been hanging out with my friends so I haven't had the chance to go there." I've gotten better at communicating my feelings to my Mom. When I was younger, that was super hard for me and it caused a lot of problems. I don't wanna go back to the place with her.
"I get it. Maybe later, when you get the chance, you should journal a little bit. It might help."
"That sounds good. Oh, wait, my journal is full!" I told her.
"Then we'll get one." Mom smiled.
"Cool. Mom?"
"Yes, Bella bear?"
"While we're out here, can I tell you something?" I asked nervously.
"Of course, what is it?" Mom had the biggest smile on her face. I'm going to feel horrible if this turns into a frown. I hand her hands while smiling.
"Do you remember our deal?"
"To hear you out, not get upset right away, and give you plenty of hugs?" I nodded.
"Of course, now tell me." I took a deep breath.
"I have a boyfriend." I said calmly. Mom raised her eyebrows in delight.
"You do?? Oooo."
"You're not mad?"
"Of course not. It's Jake, isn't it?"
"Yes...how did you put that together so quickly?" I asked her.
"I made a bet with your Dad that you guys would become a couple soon. He owes me 50 bucks."
"Did you seriously make a bet on my love life?!!"
"Yes, I did." We both giggled.
"But seriously speaking, I am so so happy for you, sweet pea. I've been waiting for this day for a long time. I see the way you light up whenever you're around Jake, and I'm glad that you've found your person. If you ever need to talk about anything or ask questions, I'll always be here. Don't be scared."
"I won't, Mom." We shared a hug. Woah, this feels weird, but in a good way.
"How are we telling Elliot?"
"We? You mean you."
"You are no help!"
******************
Target (Wednesday, August 29th) (11:30 AM) (Leia's Perspective)
"Lucy, please can I get this bag?!"
[insert photo]
"You can."
"Yes!" Right now we're going back to school shopping and I'm super excited. I'm going in second grade so I get a new bag, folders, and pencil case.
"Leia, look at these pretty folders and notebooks." Noah said. I studied them.
"Hmmmm. No. This isn't good. Noah, I'm gonna be in second grade. I can't have this baby stuff!" They had the alphabet and numbers on them! That's for kindergartners! Bella laughed.
"Okay, diva. What do you want? When I was in second grade I loved folder with cute little phrases and animals." She showed me one.
"See Lucy, Bella has taste!" Everyone laughed.
"What's so funny?" I asked them.
"Nothing, pumpkin. Come on, let's grab everything quickly. You guys have an orthodontist appointment later."
"Orthodontist? I thought I was gonna get my nails painted!"
"Not today, Lei. If you want, I could take you before you start school."
"Okay, sissy. But what's an orthodontist?" I asked curiously.
"An orthodontist is someone that checks your teeth to see if you need braces."
"Do I need braces?" I asked Lucy.
"Maybe. We'll see. Your Mom is going to take you real quick and then I'm going to make your favorite dinner."
"Homemade Chipotle bowls?!" She nodded. I looked in the cart. I had 3 notebooks, 3 folders, a new bookbag, a lunchbox, and a really cute pencil case. I'm all ready for second grade!
^^^^^^^
East Side Orthodontics (2:45 PM)
"Leia Benson-Stabler?"
"You're up sweetie." Mom whispered. We walked to the back and I saw Bella getting her teeth checked out. I'm not scared of the dentist, but putting a camera in my mouth is weird.
"See look, your sister's right next to you." Mommy said I was gonna get an evaluation and my teeth cleaned I think.
"So Bella, you're going to need braces again."
"WHAT?! Again."
"Honey, if you wore your retainer more we wouldn't be here." Bella looked disappointed. Are braces scary?! Is that why she doesn't want one?! Oh no!
"Can we just wait until like next week? Can I be brace-free just until then or something?"
"That can be arranged. But to avoid this again, please wear your retainer, plus your top set of teeth need to be a bit more aligned and I see a crossbite." All of the words the dentist used sounded pretty scary.
"Alright, and onto you. How are you, Leia?"
"I'm good." He looked through my mouth and at my x-rays.
"Leia's going to need braces as well. She has an overbite and a crossbite that we need to correct." Bella snickered.
"When do you think she would need them?"
"I'd say when all of her baby teeth have fallen out, we can begin the process. The good thing is that the overbite is moderate, not severe and we could have it corrected by the time she's 12." 12?! I'm only seven. After all of that stuff, we finally got to go.
"Do I have to get braces, Mommy?"
"Yes, honey."
"You know when you have braces you can't have caramel apples and popcorn and gum." But I love gum.
"Bella, stop torturing your sister."
"Yeah, it isn't that bad Lei. It'll be off in no time." Noah said. He made me feel a bit better. I gotta eat a lot of gum before I got braces!
***************
Lily's Nail Salon (Sunday, Sept. 9th) (Bella's Perspective)
"Thanks for coming with us, Jakey-poo."
"Yeah, thanks for coming, JJ!" I told Jake.
"When did you start calling him JJ?"
"Just now because I like it. If you get to call him a nickname I do too!"
"That's right."
"Hi, how can I help you guys today?"
"I'd like a gel manicure, and they would both like a regular one,  please and thank you."
"Alright, let's get the three of you seated!" I paid close attention as my nails were prepped for the gel. I could hear the sweet sound of Leia's giggles combined with Jake's voice. I love the way he is with her.
"Jake, are you gonna paint it green because it's your favorite color?" Leia asked.
"I think I'm just gonna do some clear polish."
"Bella, what color should I do?"
"Well, you did blue for your birthday so pink would be adorable."
"You think so too, JJ?"
"I think you'd look gorgeous with pink nails." I settled on pixie purple.
"Bella, can we get Chick-Fil-A after?"
"I knew you would say that."
"It's because I like getting Chick-fil-A with my sister." She smiled at me.
"Does she do that a lot?" Jake asked.
"A lot."
^^^^^^^^^^^
1536 3rd Ave (1:27 PM)
"Yummy! Thank you, Jake and sissy!" Leia dug into her nuggets ravenously.
"Can you believe that we start school tomorrow?"
"Yes and no. I can't believe that we're in high school, but I can believe that we have school. It's weird. I haven't been the new kid in 3 years."
"I'm sure we'll be fine. You have Paisley and the rest of the girls. You have the guys. You have me." I blushed.
"You have a point there. I think having you is good enough."
"See. Just relax. You're the most likable person I've ever met. You're kind, funny, and thoughtful."
"Stop flattering me." I joked. We then talked about our favorite show, Safe Haven. It's about these kids in a small town that has this image of being very wholesome and nice, but they uncover a lot of sinister secrets. It's pretty awesome. We talked to Leia about her favorite show too.
"Yeah, it's the best show on the planet! We should all watch it together, guys." We agreed. Leia then took a sip of her milkshake, rest the cup down, and put on the world's biggest grin.
"Are you guys boyfriend and girlfriend?" Jake and I looked at each other.
"What makes you say that?"
"Because you guys keep staring at each other like Mommy and Daddy do whenever they talk to each other and Bella, you like Jake. You told me."
"That is true. Yes pumpkin, we are boyfriend and girlfriend." I told her truthfully.
"Okay! Does that mean we're gonna get Chick-Fil-A together all the time? I could work with that!" Jake and I burst into laughter.

A/N: Merry Christmas! ❤️🎁🎅🏻