Aventurine

South Carolina (July 26th) (Elliot's Perspective)
"Where are we going, Daddy?" Olivia and I decided that we should both spend some individual time with the kids before we go home. They're growing up so fast, and the best way to learn more about them is by giving them your undivided attention.
"You'll see in a minute." I held Leia's hand as we crossed the busy street.
"Daddy, you wanna know something?"
"What?"
"Did you know that horses sleep standing up, Dad?! Isn't that so funny?!"
"I did!"
"But how do they not get tired?!!" Leia's become obsessed with horses after reading Hannah's Stables.
"Because that's how they're used to sleeping, pumpkin."
"But that's weird. You're supposed to relax your body when you sleep. They're not relaxing if they're standing up."
"I guess you have a point there. Oh look, we're here." She beamed with pleasure at the sight of the stables.
"We're gonna ride horsies?!?!"
^^^^^^^^^^^
Conway, SC
"Woah, it's beautiful Daddy." Leia held onto my back as we made our way through the trail. It was so peaceful, just our guide, ourselves, and nature.
"I know, I can't believe it."
"I love those kinds of stuff, like being in the woods and riding. It's a lot of fun."
"You do?"
"Mhm, and I'm riding my favorite horse too. Appaloosa. I learned about 'em in my book of horses. They have a spotted pattern and it's so so beautiful. Just like Lucky." Which happened to be the horse we were riding.
"Is this really an Appaloosa?" I asked Gwen, our guide.
"Yes indeed! Your daughter certainly knows her stuff!" I heard somewhere that kids open up the most when they're not looking at you, so I guess us sharing a horse and using a buddy seat was a great idea. Leia was more talkative than usual, and I learned a lot. Leia loves more than just Polly the Fairy, she's into reading more and thinks that chapter books are much better than picture books because you can imagine what's going on. Leia is starting to like ballet more although hip hop is still her favorite, and she loves sleepovers with her besties.
"Ew, that's gross!"
"Gross how?"
"Peanut butter and bananas sound yucky." And she dislikes peanut butter now, can't forget that new fact.
"It tastes great on a sandwich with some honey."
"Gwen, would you eat that?"
"I would. It sounds scrumptious."
"I gotta get outta here! The aliens are invading!"
"The aliens?!!"
"Yes, only aliens like peanut butter!" Our ride came to a close and we got off of the horse. Leia walked up to Lucky.
"Thanks for letting us ride you. You're a nice guy." Leia pet him. We thanked Gwen for the experience and started to head down the road for some dinner.
"Did you have fun?"
"Lots of fun! Thank you, Daddy! You're the best!" Leia is only going to be this little for so long, and I had to make the most of it.
******************
Paintball! (1:15 PM) (Olivia's Perspective)
"Of all the things we could've done today, this is what you choose?" I joked.
"Yeah! Isn't it fun?"
"Anything involving you is fun."
"You're just flattering me. It's working." Noah fixated on the kettle hanging from the tree. He shot.
"Pretty good!"
"That's from experience."
"Experience?!" I questioned.
"Remember when Bret had his birthday party at the paintball place on Lexington?"
"Ohh, yes! You kids were so darn competitive." Noah chuckled.
"I remember you asking me if you could stay all day because you wanted your team to win. You wanted to keep going."
"I remember how you got mad because I threw a fit."
"You were determined, and I liked that about you. You're a force to be reckoned with Noah Porter-Benson. That is when you use your traits for good and not to band together with your classmates against your teacher."
"That isn't quite what happened....speaking of traits and force, there's something that I want to tell you about."
"Hit me." He aimed the gun at me.
"Not literally!"
"I had to. Okay, okay, so next year, I was thinking about running for class president." I put down the paintball gun.
"Seriously?"
"What? Do you think it's a bad idea?"
"No, no, it's an amazing idea. Wow, my son is going to be class president."
"We don't quite know that yet."
"You're very likable."
"I know but besides that. I want people to see me as the person that'll do something. Not just make a bunch of empty promises because they want to win. I want for us to go on more meaningful trips and get more resources for art class like everyone's been asking. I want to make things better." I have to say, Noah has grown up to be this amazingly smart, humorous being who's just so confident in himself and that's exactly what I envisioned for him.
"Mom?"
"Yeah?" I said after shooting the scarecrow.
"Do you think that I could do it?"
"Of course you could, why are you asking?"
"Last time I wanted to be president my friends laughed at me. I don't know, it made me not want to do it anymore."
"Then those weren't your friends. Noah, you're the type of person that could do whatever they want if they just put their mind to it. Which is why I used to be so hard on your sometimes. You're capable, but you had a hard time focusing at times. You could be class president. Without a doubt."
"Really?"
"Yes. I mean it, Noah. I'm proud of who you are and you can do well, you've always done well."
"Wow..thanks, Mom. Sometimes I tell people these things and I feel like they aren't taking me seriously and just agree with me to make me feel better about myself but you meant it." I should stop pushing Noah to the side, even though it's unintentional most of the time. There's so much under that exterior that I don't know.
*********************
Chapin Pond (4:21 PM) (Bella's Perspective)
"I messed up." I put down the green marker and picked up the brown one, hoping that I could correct
mistake.
"It's a bit muddier over there." I whispered to myself. I was drawing the view. A pristine pond, rocky sand, and a patch of dirt and grass. I needed to get away from everyone back at the RV Park. I was starting to feel stuffy again. I like to say that I'm a bit of an extrovert...but I'm also an introvert too. I need my alone time to recharge.
"I just can't get it right." I put down my book my put in my headphones. I played with the pebbles on the ground. Occasionally tossing some in the water. When I was younger, Uncle Carisi would show me how to skip rocks. I used to be able to do it but I can't anymore.
"Ugh, why can't I get it?!"
"Maybe it's because you're holding it wrong." I looked up to see a guy with a gigantic smirk on his face. Before I even got a chance to ask why he was speaking to me he gently took my arm and placed a stone in my hand.
"Hold it this way...no...like this and you flick your wrist. I guarantee that you'll have more luck." I threw the stone and it gracefully hit the surface of the pond four times before descending for the final time.
"Wasn't that way better?" I smiled sort of uncomfortably.
"Thanks." I looked for another rock.
"Welcome. My name's Devin."
"Thanks...Devin."
"So what's a girl as pretty as you doing out here all alone?" He asked. I rolled my eyes.
"All of that is unnecessary." I told him.
"What?"
"The flattery. If you want to talk to me....be a normal person. Just don't be like that."
"I'm just calling it like I see it."
"Okay, well call you like you see it with some other girl."
"Gee, someone's in a mood." I started grabbing my stuff. I just can't get a lick of peace, can't I? As I started to make my way back to the RV Park I could still feel his eyes on me.
"See you around....mystery girl."
^^^^^^^^^^
"Bella you're back. My goodness, we looked everywhere for you. Everyone's heading to the beach. Your parents are back too." Aunt Addie said.
"Oh....nice." I realized that I couldn't get back in our RV.
"Do you need to change into a swimsuit? I could get your Mom to let you-"
"No, it's okay. I'll just stay here. Can I stay in your RV?"
"Sure, I'm staying too! We could watch a movie until they get back." I wanted to be alone...but sure.
"I'd love that...." We settled on a movie and began to watch.
"Is it okay if I ask you a question?" I nodded.
"Why did you just sort of disappear like that?"
"I just needed some alone time." She nodded. If this were Mom, she wouldn't have let it go so easily and insisted that something was wrong. Can't a person just want to be alone?
******************
Mystical Moon Variety Store (Friday, July 27th) (Elliot's Perspective)
"How was your outing with Eli?"
"It was great. We went go-karting." Bella nodded. As we entered the store we were greeted by the staff.
"How could we help you today?"
"Do you happen to have any tapestries?"
"Yes, a shipment just came in yesterday."
"What's a tapestry?"
"It's like a piece of cloth that you hang on your wall."
"Pretty." Bella loves buying clothes, watching tv shows and movies, and more recently: crystals and being aesthetic (??). So I thought that for our outing it'd be nice to take her to get some crystals before hitting up the movie theater and going out to eat.
"I love the stars on this one, it totally fits my aesthetic. Onto the crystals." She inspected them and asked many questions. I was pretty taken aback by her knowledge of them.
"I want happiness in my room, would citrine or aventurine be best?"
"Aventurine is great at dissolving negative emotions and restoring calm, citrine promotes success and positivity. Either would be great additions to your collection if you're looking for happiness, it depends on what you define as happiness."
"I think I'll get both then. Thanks."
"So....."
"Sooooo? Why are you being weird, El?" Bella asked. Ever since Bella told me about this friend a while back I've had one question in mind.
"You're being weird."
"No, you're being weird. Usually, you'd be talking more." I raised my eyebrow.
"I can't talk much if I don't have a lot to say. I'm ready to cash, by the way." We bought the crystals and a ring. Bella thanked me for the items and we headed outside.
"You're being awkward. Am I being too quiet?" She asked.
"No, you're not. I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was upset with you for that."
"It's okay."
"So how're things with your friend going?"
"Fine." She replied.
"Bella?"
"Yeah?"
"Remember that talk we had about boys a while back, about how you could be honest with me about them?"
"Yes...Where are you going with this?" She asked.
"Do you have a boyfriend?"
"No. I was talking about Axel. He's just a friend."
"A friend that you like."
"Liked, past tense. You're gross for even insinuating that I'd even date him. This is why I don't like to tell either of you anything."
"You need to watch yourself, I get that you're upset about whatever's going on with you and Axel but it doesn't excuse the way you've been treating your Mother and I. You're almost 14 Bella, you can-"
"You're not privy to my life!"
"Yes, I am, first of all because I am your father, and second you are old enough to find better ways to deal with your emotions."
"Says you, and you're not my Dad."

To be continued~