Good Ole Competition

Avenues: The World School (Wed. December 6th) (7:30 AM) (Bella's Perspective)
"This looks great. Attractive, eye-catching, perfect." Lily said. We came to school early to set up our sample table.
"Okay, last-minute idea!"
"What is it?"
"After they taste the samples they can sign here to signal if they want a bake sale. Then we have people telling us exactly what they want." I said.
"Written form, I like that." We all giggled.
"Okay, nice spread we have here!"

"Agreed

"Agreed. Look some of the boys are here. I think they have practice or something." Ximena said.
"Isn't it too early for some sweets?"
"Never for them. Ooo, I see Jonathan. Hey guys, come here for a sec!" Jonathan and Matthew saw us which was enough for them to come over.
"Heyy."
"Here's the deal, we're giving out samples of holiday treats to survey if you guys would like a bake sale."
"Cool!" They all said.
"Marissa going to try to convince you guys to buy Christmas dinners from her." Julie told them.
"No way."
"But you guys like treats, right?"
"Yeah, yeah." They were practically drooling at this point.
"Alright! Have some samples, and sign here to show your support. If I catch you anywhere near Marissa today I'm going to kick you guys' asses." Clara said.
"And she has a mean high kick. She's a dancer." I told them.
"And so does Bella."
"Yep, so if I catch you guys over there, no more treats and a sore ass." I joked.
"Don't worry ladies. Yo, who made this Rice Krispie?"
"I did." I told them.
"It smacks. We'll be back later. You better have more." We all snickered as they left. We secured those hungry, hungry, athletes.
^^^^^^^^
Lunchtime (12:46 PM)
"I wish we could go outside for some food." Stella whined.
"This is all for a good cause! It'll be worth it in the end." People were lining up for our items and we had a choke of pages of signatures.
"I love you guys' cookies! I can't wait for the bake sale!" Autumn said while signing her name down.
"We can't wait either!"
"This is so good." I heard people say as they walked away. As I was getting another page of paper for people to sign, Marissa came toward our table.
"What the hell is this?"
"A sample table. People deserve a chance to sample what they'll be having at the bake sale, no?"
"Ughh! This isn't over. Just wait. Just wait."
"Mission complete." We all high-fived.
****************
Lancaster, Pennsylvania (Starpower Dance Competition) (Saturday) (Leia's Perspective)
"Okay, let me see your solo one more time." I started dancing. Everything was going well. I remembered my counts and then-
"Leia?" I forgot. I forgot my solo! It's the day of the competition. Bailey and Farrow looked at me and I ran out quickly. I'm going to disappoint my team and my parents and Bella.
"Leia, where are you going?" Bella asked. I kept running and running until there was nowhere to run.
"Leia?" Bella was behind me.
"Why did you run, baby?" I started to cry.
"Because I forgot. I don't want you to be disappointed in me." Bella hugged me.
"Why would we be disappointed in you?"
"Because it's lyrical and it's your style of dance and you've been helping me practice. And Mommy pays a lot for dance and she'd waste her money." I cried.
"Leia, we would never be disappointed in you. Everyone forgets their dance. It happens to every good dancer."
"Really?"
"Of course. One time, I forgot my dance on stage and I got really scared that Mom would be disappointed too. But guess what?"
"What?"
"I saw Mom in the audience telling me to keep going and I did. I made up some moves and acted like it never happened. She was so proud of me. Of course, my dance teacher was upset though." I giggled.
"But that we can get over, no?"
"Yeah."
"So, if you forget, just wing it! And know that Mommy and I will be proud of you regardless. We won't love you any less, okay baby Lei?"
"Stop calling me that!" Bella laughed.
"Let's go get ready, you're up soon."
^^^^^^^^^^^^
On Stage
"You can do it!" Bella whispered. I walked out on stage and get into my pose. The music played and I felt a rush through my body. I can do it! My sashay was pretty good and so was my fan kick. Here comes my chain turns... I turned and turned and then...I fell out of my turn. I was right. I was going to do badly. I looked at Mommy in the audience and she was giving me a thumbs up. I kept going with my dance with a big smile on my face. When I got off of stage I felt a lot of different things. Like I could've done better, but also okay.
"You did good, Leia!" Bailey hugged me.
"Good job, Lei! You kept going!" Bella said. Did I actually do good?
*****************
Backstage (Bella's Perspective)
"We did fucking good." Hannah said.
"Yes, we did." We both drank some water before making our way back to the dressing room, where we'd take our break before awards.
"Girls, you looked amazing." Everyone said. Mom hugged me.
"Mom! You're being embarrassing." She laughed.
"Hey, I'm your mother! I'm allowed to hug and kiss you am I not?"
"Not in front of my friends." I joked.
"Fine. Bell-Bell, would you like to come with me and get some lunch, or are you going with your friends?"
"I could come with you, Mom. Let me just grab my phone." Is this going to be a normal mother-daughter lunch or is something traumatic coming?
"Where are we gonna go, we don't have a ton of time." I reminded her.
"I was thinking Chick-Fil-A." I smiled tenderly.
^^^^^^^^^^
Chick-Fil-A's Parking Lot
"How's that sandwich?"
"Delicious!" I took a sip of my Sunjoy and studied my Mom carefully. Most times, I can see the direction of our conversations by studying her facial expressions. I couldn't really tell this time though.
"So, I just wanted to talk to you and see what's up." She said before popping a fry in her mouth.
"What's up? Well, I've been feeling quite better. I just wake up super early and think about the whole Dashon thing. Sometimes, I think I want to get to know my other half-sibling and that I want to ask Aunty Tia about Dashon...how he was when he was younger, but then I don't." She rubbed my shoulder.
"Do you want to-" I shook my head.
"It's not that I don't want to talk about it, I just need a minute."
"Okay, Bell. I also wanted to talk about something else."
"What?"
"Your birthday. We've been so busy dealing with everything that we haven't even asked what you'd like to do for your birthday." Mom touched her heart. I can tell that she feels bad.
"Aww, it's okay. I kinda forgot about it myself." That's a lie. I just kind of didn't want to think about it because Jake wouldn't be there.
"No, it isn't. It's your birthday, and you've gotten comfortable with celebrating it so we have to celebrate." I chuckled.
"What would you like to do for your birthday?"
"Anything?"
"Anything that won't make us bankrupt."
"Can I just have a party at our other house with my friends and a sleepover? And then, I'd like to go out to dinner with the fam if that's possible..."
"There's something else isn't there?" I nodded happily.
"I want our girl's trip. For real. Like no more pushing back. Please?"
"Well Bella, I'm not sure that we can go right now. Trips have to be planned."
"I know, I don't need to go now. I just kinda want a confirmation that it's gonna happen. Can I get that? That would be the best birthday present."
"Yes, you can. It's happening, baby!"
"Yay!"
"Aww, are you crying?"
"Yeah because that made me happy, but also because Jake won't be there."
"He won't?" I shook my head.
"Aww, I'm sorry honey. How about you have him over for dinner before your birthday? You could have a little celebration then."
"That sounds nice."
"It'll be okay, trust me." I hope so.
****************
Somerset, NJ (12 AM) (Olivia's Perspective)
The girls were in the back hugging their trophies and dozing off as I drove us home. Today was a good day. Both Bella and Leia scored in the top 5 with their dances and everyone was happy.
"Hey, babe."
"Hey, how are the girls? I feel bad...I promised them I'd be there this weekend."
"They're sleeping. Ooo, you promised them. They're not going to let that go." I whispered.
"Yeah...I owe them a sushi date. That was the deal if I didn't make it."
"You and raw fish?"
"I know." We both laughed.
"Was today a better day?"
"Yes, it's a process. There were good moments and sad moments. I've been talking with our child psychologist, we just have to let them deal with their emotions in their own way...don't force anything, you know?"
"Yep. But you know, we have to talk to them about their Dad being in jail for the foreseeable future....and the letters." I looked right at my center console, remembering that they were there.

Earlier today...
"Mom?" Bella asked.
"Yes, honey?"
"Has he written the letter yet?"
"No, he hasn't." She sighed.
"I just want to read it and get it over with." I feel horrible for lying to her but part of me just wanted to protect her from the potential hurt she may feel.
Back to the present...

"Yeah."