Truth Talks & School's Out!

1 Halsey Path (Sunday, June 9th, 2024)  (Bella's Perspective)
This was it. There were only 4 more days of 9th grade. Usually, people are super excited about this, but because I have private school I have finals back to back.
"Clare, I need to-"
"Stella, I swear if you quiz me one more time." Clara said before slumping to the ground.
"My brain hurts." Lily said.
"We need to take a break. Wanna walk to the beach?"
"Oooh, that sounds cute!!" Clara jumped up. We all went downstairs.
"M-ooom! We're gonna take a walk!"
"Okay, be safe!" She was sitting on our porch swing with Leia, who was napping. Mom and Lei have started having swing and hammock talks which is so cute. It reminds me of when I was her age.
"It's hot as fuck out here."
"For real."
"It's so weird that this is the last week of school. It went by so fast." We all started talking about our favorite memories. It's so weird how quickly this year went. How fast things have changed. Not too long ago my life was a mess. My bio dad was ruining my life, Mom and I were fighting, and school was stressful. Now I feel...better. I love my therapist, Mom and I are cool, and school's a breeze. Can't beat that.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Southampton Beach
"Tell us!" Lily insisted.
"Well, I mean we just started talking." Stella said while licking her popsicle.
"Doesn't mean you can't tell us something."
"What do you wanna know?"
"How did it even start?" I questioned.
"We were sitting next to each other in Humanities and we kinda just..started talking..."
"And then it turned into texting?" Clara asked. Stella blushed.
"My twin tuition was right. I always know when something's up with you."
"It's so cute when you guys try venturing into the whole relationship thing."
"We're trying to get like you, Bells." I blushed. I love spending time with my girlfriends, they make life worth living.
"You know he asked if I could come over one of these days?!"
"Stop, you're joking."
"Mom and Dad aren't going to let you go through, knowing them." Lily said.
"We can cover for you." Clara said.
"Yeah just go and tell them you're with us. Well even take pics and stuff beforehand so they think you're really with us." I said.
"You'd do that?"
"Duhhh, you need to have a hot girl summer!"
"Clara!" Everyone practically died of laughter.
*****************
The Master Bathroom (2:35 PM) (Leia's Perspective)
"Moooommmyyyyy!" Looks like someone's up from their nap. Leia came into the bathroom and snuck up behind me.
"Boo!" She exclaimed happily. I looked down and shook my head.
"Leia, what did I say about knocking and respecting privacy?" She pouted.
"To do it. I just wanted to surprise you though, Mommy." She said cutely. I couldn't stay angry at that cute face for long. I then noticed something else.
"What are you doing in your bathing suit?"
"I'm gonna swim in the pool, Mama!"
"Is that so?"
"Yep!"
"How about next time you ask me?" She nodded.
"Mommy, have you seen my goggles?"
"Didn't you let Bella borrow them?" She shrugged and I went into Bella's room to check.
"It looks like a tornado blew through here." My usually clean, tidy daughter was now quickly turning into a messy one, with her constant need to change outfits and leave them...on the floor. Teenagers.
"Where are those damn goggles?" I muttered. I looked under her bed.
"Of course." When reaching my hand out to grab them I felt something else.
"This girl and her messy room." I sighed. It was a file. As any mother would, I investigated it.

"I don't know how many times I've told her to be more organiz-"

"Oh. My. God."

It was Bella's case file. From when we first found her in the warehouse. I swear I had this hidden, tucked away, so that she'd never find it. How in the world did she get this? A part of me was angry, but another part was worried. How long has she had this? Is this why she was acting out the other day? Questions were floating around my head.

"Mommy, did you find them?!" Leia asked.
"Hold on a second sweet angel." I put the file behind my back.
"Here."
"Thank you! She put them on and ran off." What am I going to do?
******************
Avenues School (Tuesday) (Jake's Perspective)
"Bye, guys!"
"Bye!! Have fun on your dateee!" Cicely made kissing noises and Evan laughed.
"Our friends are so annoying." Bella joked.
"I know." We were going out for ramen and cookies. Our faves.
"How was your English final? I know you struggle with it a bit." Bella asked.
"It was okay."
"Did you underline like I told you to?"
"Yeah, it helped." She smiled.
"How was your science final?"
"Hated it, but I think I did okay. You know what, let's not talk about school anymore. I hate it!" Bella started to skip around.
"What are you doing?"
"Come on, we have a train to catch."
"My god, slow down."
^^^^^^^^^^
505 Fifth Ave.
"We're going by your place?"
"Duhh! I went to the grocery store and made a wonderful spread! We're gonna watch movies because no one's home!" Bella said with the cutest smile.
"Am I gonna get something else too?" She stopped in her tracks.
"You, my man, are dirty as hell!"
"You're so cute when you're tryin' to scold me."
"Oh shut up and get in the elevator!"
"Abusive much?"
"Annoying much?" I caressed her cheek as she opened the door to her apartment.
*****************
Home (June 11th) (3:42 PM) (Bella's Perspective)
"Well, good afternoon guys." Mom put down her book and smiled. I'm so, so busted. My face got red.
"Good afternoon, Mrs.Stabler."
"Bella, you didn't tell me he was coming over. Why?"
"It was last minute." Mom's angry about something. I can feel it. Why would she come home so randomly otherwise?
"Still could've swung me a text. Jake, I'm sorry that Bella made you come all this way, but I'm gonna have to ask you to leave." Jake and I looked at each other. Does she know about all the other times I snuck him over? What did I do? Did I forget my chores? What could I have done?!?
"That's okay, Mrs. Stabler. I'll see you later Bell." I waved awkwardly as he left. She's so so mad right now. Seriously, what did I do?!
"Mom, I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I said. I was getting really scared. Especially because she had this freaky smile on her face.
"You didn't do anything. Sit down, come on."
"O-kay."
"I came home early today so that we could spend time together. Lucy's not gonna be back w it's Leia until later. We've got time to spare." Oh! Mom showed me the food that she got us and I smiled.
^^^^^^^^
Mom's Room (10:35 PM)
"I hate rom-coms sometimes." I said.
"Why?"
"Because they're just sooo corny Mom, like this isn't how love works in real life." Mom burst out laughing.
"What's so funny?!?"
"It's ironic that you're saying that, you're only 14 and you just got into your first relationship." I rolled my eyes playfully.
"That doesn't mean that I don't know anything about love."
"Tell me what you know about love then?"
"Love comes with a lot of compromises, like sometimes I may do things I don't love because Jake loves it and Jake does the same for me. Love means checking in on someone to make sure they're okay. Love isn't perfect, there are a lot of arguments and hurt feelings. Love is a lot of work. Love is deep." Mom raised her eyebrows.
"Well... I can't say that you're wrong. That is some of what love is."
"Being with Jake has taught me a lot of stuff, Mommy."
"I can certainly see that."
"Love is about forgiveness too." Mom said.
"Yeah."
"Not just in relationships with your partner, but for anyone you love."
"And understanding-" She pulled out something from behind her back.
"Bella?" I looked up. She had an envelope in her hand.
"I've been debating whether or not you were ready to handle this...but I think now you are. I think I should baby you a little less and give you more room to express and ask questions-" I opened the envelope. From Dashon. He wrote me a letter? He cared enough to do that?
"H-he w-wrote this?" I asked shakily.
"Yes. I know that you've been curious about your past these days, so I asked him if he could." I played with the envelope. A letter. But what, what does she mean curious? Wait...

A couple of days ago....
"Where is that file?" We were going to go back to the city in an hour and I couldn't find my case file. Mom's probably going to realize that it's missing soon. I looked under my bed.
"I swear that I had it here."
"Bella we're leaving in 5 minutes!"
End of Flashback

That means Mom found it.....

"Mom I'm sorry-"
"I'm not mad sweetheart, this is my fault. I should've given you a....more nurturing environment to learn more about your bio parents and your past. Abused children often have complicated feelings about their parents. That's natural, you have a biological connection to them. I cut that off..trying to protect you because of what they've done-"
"It's not your fault, Mom. You were being my mom. You were trying to protect me. I shouldn't have taken the case file. It was wrong and I sort of regret it. I know too much now." I sighed. I'd been having nightmares...about what I read.
"Did you read all of it?"
"No, but enough to make me..."
"Scared?" She asked: I nodded.
"Wanna talk about it?"
"I dunno." I looked at the letter.
"Thanks for getting this."
"Of course." Mom stared at me for a second, thinking.
"Should I stay, or do you want some privacy?"
"Stay please." I put my head in her lap and she stroked my hair until I eventually fell asleep.
***************
My Office (Wednesday, June 12th) (1:05 PM) (Olivia's Perspective)
"Mommy!!"
"Oh my goodness, hey guys!" Noah and Leia were suddenly in my office. I smothered them with kisses, much to Noah's dismay.
"How was the last day of school, you two?" Leia took a sip of my iced tea.
"So much fun! We had a pizza party and we did mad libs! It was so silly, can we get mad libs?"
"I remember doing those with Noah and Bella, of course we can."
"Mommy, I also made a list for this summer of things I wanna do see." Leia proudly showed me her long list that included staying up past bedtime, watercolor painting, and going on the beach.
"That seems awesome. Noah, how was your day?"
"Chill. Got my grades back, I did good on my finals. My friends and I went out for lunch." Noah doesn't tell me much about his day anymore, I enjoy the little bits I get.
"Well, I'm glad both of you had a great last day of school. Noah, are you staying?"
"I would, but I gotta do something." He said quickly.
"What?"
"Umm, I'll tell you about it later. I gotta go though, bye Lei, bye Mom!" He hugged us and left.
"He's being sneaky, Mommy." Leia said while drinking more of my tea.
"Hey missy, what are you doing drinking my tea?" I tickled her.
"You're supposed to have tea and gossip. That's what Bella says. We sip the tea and it's piping hot!"
"You are too funny. I love you so much, you know that?"
"Yeah, you tell me like every day it's so annoying." Leia said with a bit of flare and a grin.
"Are you giving me teenage attitude?" I asked jokingly.
"No. I'm only 7!" She clarified. I rolled my eyes playfully.
*****************
Avenues: The World School (Thursday) (Bella's Perspective)
We're here, the last day of 9th grade. Things felt really different. As I walked through the halls, I saw some people crying. My god I know it's a bit of a sad day, but do people need to cry?
"Hey, you done cleaning your locker?" Sicily asked. I showed her it.
"Aww, everything's gone. I'm gonna miss being your locker buddy."
"Me too." I whispered. School was about to be out.
"Can you guys stop being all weirdly emotional?!! The bells ringing soon!" Clara said excitedly.
^^^^^^^^^
"Come on! Let's go! I don't want to stay here any longer than I have to!" I grabbed Jake and Hannah's hands.
"We're free!" We all shouted.
"Free's never tasted so good!" Matt said.
"Free doesn't have a taste." Paisley commented.
"Oh my god, here goes the couple again." Hannah said while shaking her head.
"Come on, let's go!" Evan said.
"Go where?" Lily and Stella asked.
"Pshht, dunno....Chick-Fil-A?"
"Let's just rock, paper, scissor it I don't have time for this." Sicily said. We laughed and joked all the way down Amsterdam. I thought I'd cry today, but weirdly I feel...fine? A bit sad, but fine.

It's weird though, to say that I'm a....tenth grader now.

^^^^^