I Think I Know You

Therapy (Tues, Feb. 2nd, 2024)
"My kids: 7, 14, and 16 are happy, healthy, and so full of life. My husband is the best, always there for me in every possible way, so loving and understanding. So hilarious. Our new apartment is almost ready to move into, we'll have a clean slate as a family. There's so much for me to be happy about, yet I feel so unhappy." I told Dr. Lindstrom.
"It seems like on the surface everything is okay, but there's an underlying problem."
"Something like that."
"Can you elaborate?"
"My birthday's in 6 days. It's really weird to think about. Another year. Time has gone by a bit too fast. It's got me thinking a lot about my life. About my mother."
"What about your mother?" He asked.
"The fights we used to have. When my Mom died, our relationship was stable, we were okay, but for most of my life it wasn't and it still hurts me to this day."
"Have you considered talking to her?"
"Talking to her? She's dead, Dr. Lindstrom." He smiled weirdly.
"I'm not getting where you're going with this."
"Next week, bring a photo of your Mother. There's something that I'd like to try with you."
^^^^^^^^^^^
(Thursday) The 16th Precinct
"I feel like she's being such a b-"
"Bella..."
"Sorry, it just gets me so angry!" I sighed.
"Did I upset you, Mom?"
"No sweetie, it's not you." I took off my glasses and sighed again.
"Mom, I'm sorry."
"Sweet pea, it's not you, I promise." I said as she started doing her homework again.
"I'm just a bit tired."
****************
Mom's Office (Bella's Perspective)
I finished up my paragraph.
"Mom, you always say to us that it's good to talk about your feelings, and to be honest about them...but you're not. You're not okay, Mom, are you?"
"You know me too well, I can't get past you, can I?" I shook my head.
"Want the truth?" I nodded.
"I haven't been feeling very good lately."
"Why? It's your birthday week, Mom. You should be happy." I said sadly.
"Because I've been having a lot of negative thoughts lately and they've just gotten me down. About my mother, Serena, your Uncle Simon."
"You miss them?"
"Yes, but I'm also a bit angry as well."
"I get it. I hate Maria sometimes...when I think hard enough. Dr. Turner told me that when I feel that way that it's good to yell and scream....and release my anger by taking a walk or crafting or something."
"How does it make you feel?"
"Pretty good! I feel a bit calmer. Maybe, you should try those. You'd feel better. Maybe we can take walks together and listen to some k-pop or something." Mom smiled.
"I would love that." I hope Mom is okay. She's been kind of down lately. I mean...I only saw her once last week, but when I did she looked stressed. Plus, when I called her, she looked like she was crying before too. I hugged her. There was something else that I wanted to tell her...but I didn't wanna risk pissing her off when she was already down.
*****************
UES Dance Academy (5:30 PM) (Leia's Perspective)
"Good job, Leia! Look at the judges!" Right now, I'm having a private for my hip hop solo that I'm gonna perform next week!
"Yes, that sashay! Work it, girl!" I finished my solo and did my ending pose. My dance teacher, Miss Rachel clapped happily.
"Come here!"
"That solo was beautiful. You've really been taking your corrections lately and getting better, Lei. Are you growing up on me??" She tickled me and I giggled.
"What do you mean?"
"Well, usually when a dancer starts acting like that, it means that they're getting bigger. I'm proud of you kid, you're dismissed okay?"
"Okay! Have a good evening!"
"You too!" I went to go change out of my dance clothes quickly.
"Leia wanna come to my house on Friday! My new mermaid dolls are gonna come then and we could play with them!" Christina said.
"That's awesome! I'm gonna ask my Mommy."
"And Bailey and Courtney can come and it'll be fun!"
"Lei-Lei, we're taking the train home today, okay?" I heard Bella say.
"Okay."
"Wanna snack?"
"Yes please." She gave me a granola bar and we started to walk to the 5 train station.
"Was your private good?"
"Yeah! She said that my side aerial is looking better."
"See what happens when you listen to me?" I rolled my eyes playfully.
"Only sometimes...."
"Hey!"
"I joking!" I said quickly. Bella went on her phone as we went into the train station.
"Why do you have a worried face on?"
"I don't have a worried face on, come on! Our train's here."
"Yeah, you do. Like the face you had on when Mommy had to go undercover." I don't like it when Bella's sad.
"Leia, I'm not worried." I sat down and looked out the window of the train. She's such a liar.
****************
PartyCity (East 86th Street) (Elliot's Perspective)
"If you push the cart I need you to be careful with it, Leia."
"I'm gonna be careful!" I smiled.
"We need to get decorations for your mother's party."
"I thought Mom didn't want a party." Noah pointed out.
"But Mommy hasn't had a party in a while and she deserves a party, Noah!" Leia told him.
"Exactly, so we're planning one. Your mother has seemed stressed lately so I just want her to feel special on her big day."
"So where are you having it?"
"At her favorite restaurant. I'm renting out a private room."
"Daddy, here are the balloons. We need a lot of them for her! What about black?"
"Mom likes to wear black but her favorite colors are purple and yellow. And rainbow. Can't forget that."
"Bella you've been very quiet. I haven't heard a peep from you." I put my arm around Bella and pulled her close.
"Bella had her worried face on the train Dad and she told me that nothing is wrong but that's not true." Leia said.
"No I didn't, stop telling stories." Bella growled.
"I'm fine." Bella turned to me and said.
"You're a liar. That's not true."
"Girls, cut it out. We're here shopping for your mother. I'll deal with you both at home." I saw Bella texting on her phone and when she noticed me she quickly put it away.
"We should get the balloons with numbers too and some streamers. Who's coming?" Noah asked.
"I invited our friends from work, the Aberdeen's, the Jansen's, your mom's college friends."
"DADDY, CAN WE GET THIS FOR HER?" Leia held up a bag filled with loads of decorations.
"It's purple, Daddy."
"Hm. Put it in the cart, angel."
"What do you guys think? I think we're good." The kids gave me a thumbs up.
*****************
Avenues: The World School (Friday) (Bella's Perspective)
"Bella, why won't you just talk to me? Like we promised?" Jake asked.
"It's not that I can't...it's...I don't want you to think differently of me after we talk."
"I won't."
"We don't know that."
"Which is exactly why you should tell me." I sighed.
"I'll tell you."
"Bye, Bell!" Clara hugged me.
"Bye!" I smiled.
"Pretending that you're okay isn't good."
"Hey, you did that when your Dad was sick and I didn't judge you." I reminded him. I rested my head on his shoulder.
"I love you."
"Love you too." He kissed me on the lips.
"You guys know we're in public, right?"
Julie asked.
"Oh, give me a break." We left the front courtyard.
"Is that your Mom's car?"
"It is. She got a full view of us kissing." I said embarrassingly.
"Well if you guys controlled your PDA this wouldn't be a problem."
"Respectfully, fuck you." I said jokingly. She laughed.
"Gotta go. I'll talk to you guys later." I hopped into the car. Mom was smiling.
"Well, Jake certainly is lovey with you, isn't he?" I blushed.
"Mom..."
"It's okay, I get it. Is it okay if I asked you a question?" Mom seems better than she was earlier in the week. Maybe whatever was going on was solved?
"Sure. Anything that prevents you from telling Dad about this."
"How come you guys don't kiss like that at our house?"
"Do you want us killed?" Both of us laughed.
"How was school?"
"Good." I said mostly honestly.
"Speaking of good, I'll be able to make it to your writing showcase. I can't wait to hear what you've written. I know that it'll be amazing."
"Thanks. But Mom let's not focus on me, we need to go shopping."
"Shopping?"
"Yeah, you need a birthday 'fit for however old you're turning."
"Okay, you know what-" I grinned.
"You're lucky that you're my daughter and I love you more than anything because otherwise..."
"You'd cuss me out?"
"Precisely. So, shopping?"
"On me." I told her.
"Interesting...."
^^^^^^^^^^^
Fanny's Boutique (1st Ave)
"Why are we shopping for an outfit? It's just dinner with your father."
"So you shouldn't look nice for it?" I questioned.
"I guess you make a good point. Also, I've been meaning to talk to you, young lady." Whenever Mom uses the words "young lady" I know that it isn't going to be a happy talk.
"Hey....look at this dress! It's very you! It's purple with mushrooms on it. You like to dress quirky when you're not at work."
"You trying to distract me isn't going to work."
"I guess it was worth a shot." Mom didn't reply, which made me even more anxious.
"This dress is up my alley though, give me a sec." Am I going to have my ass handed to me now?