The Plan For Survival

Chapter-21
Hope

°•.°The Plan For Survival•°.•°

~•~

The climax of Makarov's message left an uneasy silence. Not even the loudest members spoke a word. Everyone, each one of them, were expecting gramps to say something, something that would deny his previous statement. But gramps went silent as well.

"You gotta be joking gramps! If they come at us, we will give them a thrashing! We will fight them till the end, and win! That's the way of Fairytail!!!" Gray yells, annoyed by the silence of his guild mates. "Why disband?!"

"Fight? Who will? The only ones who stood a chance against those monstrous wizard saints are me, Gildarts and rest of you combined. But Gildarts is in no condition to fight. And if they are heading here, then isn't it obvious that they have a trick to beat me?"

Everyone whip their head towards Gildarts. Gildarts avoid the eye contact... was he really in that bad shape?

"Listen now... gramps... this isn't the time for jokes." Natsu says, walking towards Makarov.

"This is not a joke." Makarov replies slowly, with minimum emotions in his voice.

"But... No! How can you?!" Natsu says. "We will just run off!"

"They can use the same lacrima that I used to search Mest and Carla." Makarov state.

"Please consider it again, master!" Jet says.

"I have stated why I reached this conclusion." Makarov sighs. "Being disbanded is ten fold better than picking up a losing fight."

"Don't take it..." Natsu suddenly whispers.

"Huh-?"

"DON'T GO DISBANDING THE GUILD AFTER I FINALLY RETURNED BACK!... damn it..."

"..." Makarov didn't reply.

Natsu grits his teeth. Naturally, he was sad. But there was no time for 'him' be in sad.

"Don't take away her newfound home..." He slowly looks behind. He knew what was coming now. Of course, no one was happy! But what hit him most was Lucy's broken heart.

He could feel pain in his heart. He could sense that Lucy was sad. No... sad isn't the only thing. She was blaming herself. Yes. No doubt, this feeling, she must be blaming herself.

Natsu turns around and tries to sprint towards the crowd of mages, all stoned. He wanted to make his way till the last, where she was standing.

But he was late. The heart that was feeling really heavy right now became normal again...  but now blurry vision and headache took over. Natsu pushed Jet and Droy aside, to finally reach Lucy behind them.

She was crying. Abandoned by her mind in solitude, once again.

It was already expected. Natsu, without thinking about anything hugs her. Tears drip down his cheeks too as he feels the same pain as Lucy. Lucy doesn't say a word. She hugs him back, tightly.

The others were heavily desolated. Their father was destroying the only place they could return to, right in front of them. And all they could do was watch.

They all used some support to stand or sat in the chairs made by Gray. Their legs weren't helping then out in this misery. But, unfortunately, the icy chairs were cracking too.

Gray was losing the concentration, the control, on his magic for the first time.

"It's my fault... if only I had never joined..." Lucy says with her face pressed against Natsu's scarf. Natsu puts one of his hand on her head and starts to stroke it gently. "Nah. I don't think so. No one does."