Chapter 51-Damien is the most important part of the car

Warnings ⚠: Child Abuse, Rape, Violence, Religion, Drug Use, Alcohol Use, Use of Slurs, Homophobia, Bullying, Mention of Suicide, Suicidal Thoughts, Suicidal Actions, Gun Use.

Damien's P.O.V.

-Friday, November 5th-

The days leading up the funeral are slow and uneventful. I decided to just keep going to school with Josiah, because the alternative was helping with the funeral plans. I know I would just be even more of a fucking mess if I did that. So, I figured I would just pretend that everything is okay and try my best not to have a mental breakdown the next few days.

It's been impossible.

I get home and drink, then pretend I wasn't so Josiah doesn't get on my case again. It's the same the next two days.

Just trudging forward.

Attempting to not feel anything.

Trying to pretend I'm me.

On Friday after school, though, something finally breaks the routine.

As Josiah and I leave the school, holding hands like usual, I see a familiar car pulled up outside the entrance. And someone leaning against the side of the car.

I only had the displeasure of meeting Josiah's father once, but his image never left my head.

Anyone who has hurt Josiah like that...

I'll never forget them.

And I sure as hell will never forgive them.

I stop and turn to Josiah, who hasn't seen him yet.

"Go to the car right now and wait for me."

He looks up at me, alarmed.

"W-What? Why?!"

"It's your dad. Go get in the car," I instruct, "I'll handle this."

His entire body goes rigid with fear.

"D-Damien..."

"Josiah, go. Now." I growl.

"Okay, but... What are you going to do?"

"I don't know." I say, letting go of his hand.

His father's eyes lock on to him, and he immediately stomps over to us, a pissed off look on his face.

Josiah steps behind me, a shaking hand on my arm.

"Josiah, it's time for you to stop fucking around and get your ass back home. I'm sick of having to constantly deal with you like this."

I can feel Josiah shaking behind me.

"You have no right to talk to him anymore." I say, standing up straighter.

"No right to talk to him? I'm his father. I can do whatever I want with him."

"You better back the hell up right now. Or I will wipe the floor with your sorry ass. He's not going anywhere with you. Ever."

"Back off. This has nothing to do with you, brat." He reaches over and snatches Josiah's arm, making the move to pull him over to him.

Josiah whimpers at his touch.

"If you don't let him go right now," I say, staring him dead in the eyes, "This is going to have everything to do with me." I say, not making a move yet. I won't fight him unless I have to.