Chapter 43- Bred

Warnings ⚠: Child Abuse, Rape, Violence, Religion, Drug Use, Alcohol Use, Use of Slurs, Homophobia, Bullying, Mention of Suicide, Suicidal Thoughts, Suicidal Actions, Gun Use

Damien's P.O.V.

-Thursday, October 28th-

I walk up from the basement, checking my phone, despite Josiah being right upstairs.

I spot Pierre In the kitchen.

"Hey!" I greet him, opening the fridge, "Anything good?"

He doesn't answer me and I joke, "Did you go deaf old man? I mean, you're practically four hundred years old, so..."

That usually gets a rise out of him. And he'll throw an oven mitt at me, or something.

But nothing.

I turn to look at him. "What's up? Are you mad? What did I do now?"

He's doing the dishes in silence.

I musta fucked up.

I stand beside him and say, "I'll dry."

He looks over at me, and says, "I was talking to Josiah just a bit ago..." He hands me a plate from dinner.

I dry it off and put it in the drying rack.

We have a dishwasher, but Pierre insists it's better to do them by hand.

Whatever. I've been on drying duty since I was tall enough to reach the sink.

"Is that a good thing, or...?"

From his reaction, I'm assuming it's not.

"Damien, he's very concerned for you. And I am, too... You've been drinking a lot and I can't imagine how hard it is to balance school, and the business, and Josiah, and all that that entails and I just want to make sure you're taking time for you ."

He holds a dish out but I don't take it.

If he thinks something's wrong... He might try to keep me out of the alcohol.

I can't... I have to have some sort of de-stresser.

Besides, I really don't drink that much.

"Pierre, I'm fine. I don't drink that much. And it's not that bad."

"I'm really worried about you with Josiah here now... He's a nice boy, but he's upstairs hiding in a closet right now... He doesn't seem well, and I don't want him hurting you."

I grab the sides of the sink so hard my knuckles go white.

"Do not bring Josiah into this." I growl.

He raises an eyebrow at me. "And don't you forget who's raised you. I'm not your dad, and I sure as hell won't tell you what you can and can't do, but I won't let you destroy yourself like this. I'm going to lock the liquor cabinet when no one is here. I know you can pick locks, but I'm going to seriously suggest that you think about breaking the trust here, Damien."

"I don't have a problem!" I snap, "You're being ridiculous! You're not my dad, and you shouldn't try to be!"

He glares at me. "Then quit acting like a fucking child, and I won't have to." He calms down and continues in a nicer tone, "I think you should maybe talk to someone. It might help."

I say nothing, and just stare into the soapy water.

"Damien, you just seem so sad. All the time. And Josiah said that he's afraid you'll..."