Chapter 71-- NOT TODAY SANTA 🎅🎄

Warnings ⚠: Child Abuse, Rape, Violence, Religion, Drug Use, Alcohol Use, Use of Slurs, Homophobia, Bullying, Mention of Suicide, Suicidal Thoughts, Suicidal Actions, Gun Use

Damien's P.O.V.

-Monday, November 23rd-

"Pierre is going to pick you up from school today." I say to Josiah as I drink my coffee. He's sitting at the table with me, eating a bowl of Lucky Charms.

I have my first day at the contracting company, starting at nine. Pretty much after I drop Josiah off. But I won't get off of work until 5:00.

He looks up from his bowl in surprise, as if he forgot all about what today is.

"Why?"

I blink at him. "I'm starting my new job today. I won't be home until, like, 5:30."

"Why would you let them schedule you like that? 5:30?!"

"What do you mean? It's a normal time. 9-5. It's not that late. I'll still see you. And I can still drive you to school." I point out. "Besides. I was just hired. Maybe in a few months we can see about moving stuff around."

He looks kinda mad. "This is unforgivable. Unless... You pick up pizza on your way home." He mutters.

"Not happening. Pierre said he was making us dinner tonight." I sit my now empty coffee cup down and I cross my arms and lean against the wall.

"Pierre makes yucky dinners, Damien. Level with me here."

"How about we get pizza another night this week? Deal? And I'll only be home until seven because I have to go see an apartment tonight. But I really have a good feeling about this one." I say excitedly. I can't wait to look at it. "Josiah. It has a breakfast bar."

"What does that mean? Breakfast bar...?

"A place to eat Pop-Tarts. Just for you." I smile.

"Why? All places are places to eat Pop-Tarts."

"I don't know. I just have a good feeling about this one. I should be home by like....9:00. At the lastest. But I'll see you for dinner though."

He looks even more mad.

"9:00?! Damien..."

I put my hands up in front of me as if in surrender and I say, "Hey. You're more than welcome to come. I just figured you wouldn't want to after last time."

Practically throwing a baby fit until we got ice cream...

Yeah. I doubt it.

I like looking at places. I think it's fun.

"I don't want to. But I want to be with you. I want you to be home."

"I will be. At 9:00. And I only work part time at my new job. It won't be like this everyday. You'll still see me." I assure him, "I'll always leave time for you. I promise."

"I don't believe that at all. And, also, I'm not going to any more houses until you find one you want to live in for real. No more bringing me places just so you can complain about carpets."

"Are you sure? Maybe there will be carpet...on the ceiling at this one. Who knows?"

"That would be cool."

"Until you had to vacuum it."

The image of standing on the floor and sweeping the ceiling is really funny to me.