Chapter 16-BUILD A Lego HOUSEEE

Warnings ⚠: Child Abuse, Rape, Violence, Religion, Drug Use, Alcohol Use, Use of Slurs, Homophobia, Bullying, Mention of Suicide, Suicidal Thoughts, Suicidal Actions, Gun Use

Josiah P.O.V.

-Thursday, September 16th-

I tried my hardest to get my phone back this morning to ask Damien to pick me up so I could explain everything, but every time I addressed it, I got an immediate no.

So I left on my own. Just like the old times.

As soon as I get to school, a voice stops me.

"Walker. Hold up!"

It's Damien.

What the hell does he still call me that for?

"Can't talk at school." I remind him.

"I don't care. Why the fuck didn't you answer any of my texts? Are you okay?!"

I rub my aching shoulder and try not to think about what happened.

"My aunt took my phone. She said I can have it back this weekend, but it's my punishment for talking to you. Why didn't you answer my calls?"

"I'm sorry. I was with my dad and...we got caught up. I'm really sorry."

"It's alright... I did my job and called you when I needed you. It's just weird that you told me to do that when you knew you would be busy. I'm not mad. Just...confused."

"I know. I didn't take my phone downstairs and then I got distracted and...I'm so fucking sorry. I feel horrible about it. You'll get your phone back this weekend? That's bullshit."

"It seems fair to me. We're not supposed to just text anymore, so... I think we should only talk to each other for business reasons. Tutoring."

"Really?" He sounds...upset.

"Yeah. Just the tutoring stuff...and I don't think it's a good idea to give me lunches, or to eat over at your house again." I tell him.

"No. That's not happening. I will bring you and give you lunch everyday and you'll just have to throw it away. I don't care. But I'm bringing it."

"That's dumb. If Alexa sees you, then... Her and Avery would say something. It's not safe."

"Then eat it. I don't care. Don't get caught."

"I tried that. It just ended up hurting a lot."

"I'm sorry. I just...just take them and throw them away for all I care. I just want to know I did everything I could." He says hopelessly.

"Damien..." I sigh, "You have done everything you could do. If there was a way to be sneakier, then it would be okay, but I don't think..."

"Okay. Sorry. Then can't you just eat at my house? No one can see you there. I'm just...I really care about you and don't want you to get hurt..."

"I could. I would feel really guilty, though. Then I would have to handle punishments myself, and I don't like doing that."

"Okay. Fine. Do you even want to do tutoring then? Or will that be too much to handle."

"I want to be with you. If tutoring works as an excuse, then that's what we're going to do. I can't lie about it though. We actually have to be working." I say.

"Okay, I guess. I don't like this at all and I'll really miss you...but, okay. If it's what you want."

"It's not what I want. It's just hard to pick between seeing you but getting hurt and not seeing you as much but being safe. We can do whatever you think we should do, but I...really just don't know."