Chapter 26- BLAG

Warnings ⚠: Child Abuse, Rape, Violence, Religion, Drug Use, Alcohol Use, Use of Slurs, Homophobia, Bullying, Mention of Suicide, Suicidal Thoughts, Suicidal Actions, Gun Use

Josiah's P.O.V.

-Friday, October 8th-

At some point in the middle of the night, Damien fell asleep.

I wasn't really sure what to do. I was too scared to sleep.

I've got my life, and more importantly, his happiness and future on the line here...

No one has really done anything but yell and shove yet. A part of me hopes they don't push it any further, but...

Another part of me feels like I should be getting punished for involving myself in this. And no matter how many times I ask Damien if he's mad, he always says no.

But he should be upset.

He should do something about it.

I watch him start up the car.

He's gotten used to putting his seat belt on. Thank God.

"Damien." I get his attention.

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."

It kinda hurts, but... It also feels so, so good.

It's nice that I believe him. It's also really strange...?

I don't know.

"I love you...more." I say carefully.

He laughs, "No way. I love you more."

"I don't think it's possible for that to be true. You have no idea...how much I love you."

"Then tell me."

"I just did. I said I love you more."

"No, tell me why. You can't claim you love me more, then have no evidence to back your claim."

"What sort of evidence?" I ask.

"Anything to back your claim, of course. The jury has to deem it worthy evidence, but it can be anything."

"There's a jury...?"

"Yeah. Me. I'm the jury, and the guilty party, and the judge."

"I don't think that's how it works, but okay. My evidence is that I said it. Because I said it, it is true."

"Hmm... That's interesting, but the jury doesn't think that's enough evidence. Come back with your claim tomorrow, and have more evidence, or they won't believe you."

"You don't have any evidence to prove otherwise. You have to prove that I'm wrong, not that there's not enough evidence."

"Nah. I'm the judge, so there's not enough evidence to convict, also me, the guilty party. I'm going to have to dismiss you from this courtroom."

"We're...in a car, Damien."

"Nope. Courtroom. Use your imagination for once, Josiah."

"I don't have one. I never learned that particular skill. It's the one thing I'm not good at." I claim.

"The one thing? Okay, Mr. Almost Perfect. At least I have ONE thing I'm better at than you."

"Well, yeah. You learned imagination as a kid. Great skill. Congratulations. If only you would have put the same effort into science."